How to design a flank route?

Badger_

L1: Registered
May 4, 2019
So I'm working on an a/d map with three points, I have most of the layout down in Hammer and some flanks planned/already implemented. But I'm stuck for how to know where to put them, how long they should be, how to keep them as flanks and not so cheap and powerful they become more favorable then main routes. How many there should be per connector, area, point, ect.
Literally any info on this at all would be fantastic, it's something that I want to do right but feel like my flanks become more powerful than a main route, or that the flanks always end up as corridors. Basically what should I be looking to do when designing and building them?

Thanks anyone and everyone for any help at all :)

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
I sometimes like to do this style of flank routes depending on the situation. One main route and a few sides routes but all lead to a point so the attacking team cannot get behind the defending team easily without seeing combat. Basically funneling.
IkN7K0j.png

seanji

L1: Registered
Jan 13, 2019
Flanks aren't necessarily there to bypass the point or the area, but to bypass certain holds. You shouldn't be able to watch a flank from the same angle or position as your main route. You shouldn't be able to rotate instantly between holding the flank and holding the main route.

You can easily integrate a flank entrance into the same area as the main routes, it doesn't need its own corridor.

Flanks are usually lowground routes, which prevents them from being more powerful than main routes, and provides good cover for flankers. You can also shrink the doorways that a flank flows through, which makes the flank more committal, and makes the flank push less noticeable to those holding.

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
This is very simple, but placement of pickups can be an important part of balancing routes; if a flank is too powerful, move away or take out pickups near it

Mess About

L7: Fancy Member
Jan 16, 2017
if you think your flanks are becoming too powerful, then just nerf them by making their doors and lobbies choke-ier; or put them on the low-ground; or make the areas where they are connected to more open, less cover;....

now they're even, main routes are safer while flank routes have the surprise factor

(also pls don't make the flank goes all the way to the enemy's spawn or sth like that, keep them in the CP area)