How to customize a Hud for a hybrid gamemode

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
So I'm making a CTF map that involves capping a control point to open a path to the intelligence (ctf_penthouse).

Anyway, one of the confusing parts of the map for a while was to get the CTF and CP elements to both show up on the HUD, but I eventually, with a tf_logic_hybrid_ctf_cp entity. After some tweaking, it looks like this:
hudcpctf.jpg

Now this is all well and good, except that there is no indicator for the amount of intelligences capped, which means that a win usually comes as a surprise unless you're taking notes on a notepad or something. Just for reference, the standard CTF hud has these to the side, like this:
hudstandardctf.jpg

I've searched on the site and google about hud customization, but mostly got results about how to make huds appear differently to the player, not change the elements included. So I open this up: does anyone know how to get something like this:
hudproposedctfcp.jpg

or even this:
hudproposedctfcp2.jpg

Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Customising the HUD of TF2 is something we have incredibly little power over.
One thing you could do is represent caps with points instead, so you have 7 points (one central CP and three 'flags')

You'll have 7 icons along the bottom and their icons can be cusomised using the capture point's entity, so the central one you leave standard, and the outer 6 you modify to look like a briefcase. You have neutral, red and blue versions so that they're all neutral at the start and after each cap red's side ones turn red and blue's side ones turn blue.

Obviously these capture points need to be hidden and have no triggering area so players can't stand and capture them normally, instead when the flag is captured you fire some outputs to capture the next point.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I thought there was a push to make the HUD more customizable around the time the Invasion maps were coming online. What happened with that?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It's literally only for PD maps.
And it's actually really not very customisable at all (you can only edit existing hud elements, not add new ones)

Oct 6, 2008

RodionJenga

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 24, 2015
I decided against going insane, but here's the progress:
hudcpctffix.jpg

(Blue wins 3-2)

In later versions I'd want to change the "score" points to use smaller overlays, so they're not as easily confused. But that involves custom stuff, so that might wait for beta.

Hyperion

L16: Grid Member
aa
Jun 8, 2015
Didn't Valve once promise to give us more power over HUD?