How to change background sound in hammer?

agumathebear

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2011
hey all, my map is almost complete but I want to change cp_degrootkeep's sound from the clashing and thundering of battle and such to crickets and night sounds like in doublecross. ALSO, when I start my map now i see horrible tracers when i look at the sky (like as if there was no background) is there any fix to this?

Zhan

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 18, 2010
The background sounds are created by one or more env_soundscape entities. To change the soundscape you need to change the Soundscape name keyvalue on the existing env_soundscape entities. To figure out which soundscapes doublecross uses, you'll need to look at a decompiled vmf of doublecross, which is somewhere on these forums.

The "horrible tracers" you see in the sky are probably the hall of mirrors effect, which is caused by not having a skybox.

agumathebear

Jun 13, 2011
but I do have a skybox, its halloween, it worked fine until i started building the tavern (i made that one house with the boarded up door into a two story tavern) and after that now when i look at the sky I get a hall of mirrors effect, unless i look to the right of the map, towards the waterfall. i dont get a hall of mirrors effect, but i see a faded white castle that looks identical to the main castle. anyone know a fix or what i did wrong? I put alot of work into the tavern and i dont want it to go to waste :(

agumathebear

Jun 13, 2011
ok i just tried loading the map, it says *** Error: skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_halloween weren't compiled. can't laod skybox file skybox/sky_halloweento build the default cubemap
***error: skybox vtf files for skybox/sky_halloween weren't compiled.

it wouldnt let me move the slider to see if it said anything else because it froze and wouldnt respond. do i need to put ft at the end of my sky_halloween, or what?

also, there are lots of env soundscapes that all say medieval.outside. are these the ones i need to change to doublecross?