How the devil do I line the rocket up?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
So I want the dustbowl/steel rocket in my map, but it comes in two seperate halves, normal and skybox. Im having a load of trouble lining them up with no gaps, but they always look just slightly off. They're perfectly lines up in dustbowl & steel, however. This is the rocket I'm talking about.

rocket1.jpg

normal map
rocket2.jpg

and skybox

is there some trick to it?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
place the skycamera at 0 0 0 and place the origin of the skybox rocket model over the origin of the regular size rocket. Then when you select the skybox rocket and skycamera and go translate - size - 0.0625 the rocket is alligned with the skycamera and subsequently in the real world.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
True, grazr. The problem is then translating the bottom half upwards without displacing it in the X and Y as it snaps to the grid. Not to mention that the Z value may not be on grid....

Nov 14, 2009
It should also be noted that THE @!)#*)(@!*#)(&ING POINT IN ARTPASS ISNT CENTERED!

I have had this problem as well.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
True, grazr. The problem is then translating the bottom half upwards without displacing it in the X and Y as it snaps to the grid. Not to mention that the Z value may not be on grid....

Who cares whether or not props are on grid?

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
What on earth are you talking about Draco, everything remains aligned to the skycamera (which is important, not grid alignment) as long as you move the skybox objects as one.

Things only misalign when you go moving stuff individually. Which shouldn't be necassery because everything remains aligned from shrinking proportionally in all directions.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I think that's the point. How does he line a skybox (single) object up with a non-skybox (single) object.

And I don't see how copying it when you make the skybox keeps it aligned, as you need to make it a different model and then move it relative to the skycamera.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
You don't need to move it relative to the skycamera... they are already aligned at regular size before being shrunk (spatially).

As i said: place the skycamera at 0 0 0 and the skybox rocket nose model where the regular rocket nose model would stand (origin, that is). Select the skycamera and the skybox rocket nosecone model (readily aligned to the regular sized one) and shrink them -rocket and skycamera, together- on all 3 axis, by 0.0625.

Your rocket nose cone is aligned at 1/16th scale.

Why is this hard to understand?

The only way they would become misaligned is if you touch the 3dskybox contents after this process, or move the maps orientation to 0 0 0 after completing this process.

Edit: Or another way of saying it. Shrink the skycamera placed at 0 0 0, with the regular sized nosecone model, so spatially they are at 1/16th scale, then swap out the regular size model for the skybox version. (saves you overlaping the large and skybox versions) but the process is the same. The important thing is that the model origin and skycamera are aligned. Grid alignment doesn't matter in the 3dskybox and only becomes a problem if you start moving stuff around in it seperately.

Last edited:

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
i tried what grazr said, but i cant see if it works because tf2 wont load the lastest version of my map. The compile gives me the good old "warning - face vectors parallel to face normal" warning, but this time it won't tell me which one is causing the error. The alt+p problem window doesn't list any kind of that error either.

EDIT: okay ive fixed that, but now the map doesnt have lighting, its always fullbright, even if i compile it with vis and rad on. I can make changes to the map and they'll compile, it just wont have lighting. i cant load the pointfile either, it cant find it for some reason.

Last edited:

lucky

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 25, 2009
Did you add lights to your map? :p
light_environment for world lighting, and env_sun for the 'model'