How square are your visleaves

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Bad Vlad, May 26, 2010.

?

What do you func?

1. Huh? Is this why my compile takes so long?

12.5%
  2. Only free-standing objects and other things like stairs...

33.3%
  3. I like to have as few leaves as possible.

50.0%
  4. Anything that does not have nodraw behind it is an exception.

4.2%
  1. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get a bang out of compulsive optimisation for whatever reason. Playing with portals, puzzling with hints... The biggest part of it all is manipulating your visleaves with func_detail. I like to keep my visleaves as square as possible, making func_detail out of even the basic shape of a room if it's not rectangular as well as any free-standing objects such as the impaled corpses outside the city. So how far do you go in it?

2. DjD

DjD L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    i HATE (yes I really mean HATE) to optimize maps, its just the most broing thing abput mapping so I always wait till it was tested and works well before I optimize it ;)

3. Bad Vlad

Bad Vlad L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tend to make areaportals when I haven't even finished blocking out, which is a really bad idea, 'cause as you expand the layout, you'll lose track of your areaportals and before you know it you have a leak!

Then again, I was excited about displacements initially, who knows how soon I'll come to hate vvis and impale it on a stick.

4. Nutomic

Nutomic L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    It doesnt matter at all if your visleafs are squares or rectangles or whatever, as long as you dont have too many of them.

5. XFunc_CaRteR

XFunc_CaRteR L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am an optimization aminal. With big areas I will cut it up with lots of hints so that if you hide in a corner, the GPU is drawing almost nothing you physically can't see. But I've gotten a touch less obsessive lately.

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I func detail everything that isn't a big major geometry of my map, regardless of angles.

7. UKCS-Alias

aa UKCS-Alias Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?

Positive Ratings:
    I usualy func_detail to get those big visleafs and then split them with hints again to get more control about what i want to be optimized.

Still, area portals are more favored simply because behind a closed door you can use them to fully block visibility.

For roofs i use func details least of the time. Instead displacements can do a better job as you can also use that to detail them by giving them bumps.

8. Rexy

aa Rexy The Kwisatz Haderach

Positive Ratings:
    It's hip to be square.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tend to leave anything that blocks visibility as a world brush. Regardless of how ugly my visleafs get, if it's a wall between two walls I keep it solid. And if it's too complex, I func_detail it and then put a simpler nodraw wall inside it.