How Should I Make aMoving Skybox

What is the best way to make a moving canyon skybox

• using a linear door (very long skybox that returns to start everyonce and a while)

• using a rotating door or other entity (donut skybox)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yabayabayaba

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 2, 2016
I am making a mvm map on a huge truck that is moving through a canyon. I want the skybox to move around the map. What would be the best way to make this happen. Please vote and give suggestions

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Neither of your ideas involved a func_tracktrain, which is a lot easier to try to make a looping thing with than a door.

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
There is a map that has done almost the same thing. ctf_convoy is the name.

I believe the way he did it is that he had a 3D skybox with several modular, dynamic pieces of road - all of which were parented to func_tracktrain and ran around underneath the map itself like a conveyor belt.

If you want to make it look like your map is driving in circles, just make a 3d skybox that goes around in a circle using a func_tracktrain and a circular path_track route.

It sounds like a fun excercise actually... I think i'll try to build you an example vmf. I just hope i've understood what you want correctly

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Try making a donut-shaped crevice and have it rotate along the center and have the map take place on one of the outer edges. Easier to set up than a modular thing like convoy. Keep in mind you can't use displacements, however!

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Ok, so this was actually a bit more difficult than i thought. A func_tracktrain was wobbly and laggy for some reason.

However, a func_physbox being spun up by a phys_motor seems to do the trick. This way, you can also create the illusion that your map starts at a standstill and then accelerates until it moves at its top speed.

I made a downloadable example map that you can look at.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
However, a func_physbox being spun up by a phys_motor seems to do the trick.

This is what I typically use, but most people use a weird rotating button rig. I like the idea of it accelerating quite a lot, because if you use the same values for wheels or treads or whatever the vehicle has, it will look like the wheels are moving equally as fast as the ground beneath it.

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
Thanks so much people!! Unfortunately due to a long upcoming bus ride I can't test anything until tonight. I will post pics when done.

Tumby

aa
May 12, 2013
if you use the same values for wheels or treads or whatever the vehicle has, it will look like the wheels are moving equally as fast as the ground beneath it.
Sorry but that isn't even true. The further away from the center of rotation, the slower the wheels need to move to look right.
That also means that unless the whole thing has infinite radius, there would be always wheels that are too fast or too slow. Good thing real cars don't care and instead the tires wear out quicker.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Surely it won't take more than 5 minutes of math so I don't think it's a big deal

And since things rotate faster the further they are from the center, wouldn't the wheels need to move faster, not slower?

Yabayabayaba

Jun 2, 2016
Thanks so much for that example map Faux, it is very helpful, I didn't even know physobjects were a thing!

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
I think it uses segmented geometry and props- notice the rock on the bottom. Or it's a combination of both scrolling and moving props

800px-Convoyside.jpg