How much can I bend a 1-way non-entity chute?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Numerous

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 14, 2009
In 2fort, there's a drop from the second spawnroom into the corridor that leads to the courtyard (everyone should know this). I'm going to add a "drop" similar to that, that's 1-way, is entirely brush/displacement (almost definitely displacement) and will preferably not go directly down (level design issues, long story). So I want to know, what degree can the chute be before people will be able to run up it, or somehow stop themselves falling (or slide very very slowly down the shaft)? I really doubt it'd matter if a soldier half-killed himself to get up it (although it'd be preferable to not have that possible), I just don't want some annoying scout to use it as an escape route which other people (most of them, anyways) can't use.

By the way, I'm not entirely sure how many hammer units, but basically the chute will be at least twice as far as the drop when you drop down the hole from the 2fort spawnroom (it's not even a drop really). The chute might be the length of dropping off the 2fort battlements, maybe slightly shorter.

I'm logging off soon, but if you ask any questions before I log I'll answer them now (if I can).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
If it isn't a displacement already make it one and hit this: :dispwalk: glowing yellow means you can't walk up it

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
preventing a soldier (or a demo) to get up that thing can be quite difficult

I really doubt it'd matter if a soldier half-killed himself to get up it (although it'd be preferable to not have that possible)..

That doesnt seem to be an issue with it. But fully preventing is indeed possible unless its a huge lenght they drop. Especialy with the gunboats.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
You could use a func_respawnroomvisualizer to let people out, and not have the enemy in.

zaratustra

L2: Junior Member
Feb 1, 2009
Won't people have more fun if you allow rocket jumping soldiers and demomen to be able to go up it?

megawac

Oct 2, 2009
Isnt there one way func_respawnroomvisulizers now? - so you can make it imposible for people to go back up.

Numerous

Oct 14, 2009
Seeing as how I'm not actually connecting it to a spawn room, it's kinda irrelevant.

Also, I might not be including it since I've redesigned some of my map.

Nothing else to do until I can get hammer installed, I spent 6 hours on a train today so I could get hammer/TF2 (in the middle of f**king NOWHERE, got blackmailed into coming here, no way I'm going to spend another week with nothing but mafia wars/the internet).

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I pondered some of this long and hard for my two new chutes in ctf_2fort_revamp.

In one case, it's one-way due to having a door at the top. You could backtrack with a rocket jump only while the door is being held open by someone else standing at the beginning.

In the other, it's a combination of a one-way downwards-opening trapdoor and a pool of swim-depth water below. The water effectively prohibits explosive jumps, and even if they managed it and somehow got into the triggering area the tiny trapdoor would open towards them.

Another trick it to use a very very thin (1-4 hammer units) "lip" around the chute, so that anyone rocket-jumping along the walls will hit it and fall back down. This makes it practically impossible to explosive-jump back upwards since the target area that won't stop you is very tiny. (It can even be playerclip so that there's no visual thing to get snagged on.)

Last edited: