How many prop_physics_multiplayer

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by bamibal, Aug 24, 2015.

1. bamibal

bamibal L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    How many prop_physics_multiplayer could I make before I break my map? :p I love the interaction of being able to whack props around so I'd love to make many of my props prop_physics_multiplayer, but I'm afraid that they're too expensive.

2. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    One prop_physics_multiplayer adds one edict. Your map crashes a server if there are more then 2048 edicts on the server. You map shouldn't hold less then 1400 edicts since players add up as well. You can check your edict count with the "status" console command

While you don't need to worry about crashing the server, if you have an avarrage entity count, having many physical objects might cause a lot of legs during online play if they are all in motion at once.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    while lamp provides a very extreme case answer, I found that 100 physboxes was enough to start getting noticeable lag on the server. By 200 it was totally unplayable, 300 the server basically crashed but we abandoned ship before it did.

I found that keeping it to <50 at all times, on a small map, was OK.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  4. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    Random fact: Being YM instantly gets you more Thanks.

Just look at poor lampenpam writing the technical stuff that isn't just about prop_physics_multiplayer, but about entity limits in general. Meanwhile YM gives interesting examples, but no technical informations whatsoever, for which he gets instant thanks.

Both posts are usefull, but why is everybody always focusing on YM so much?

5. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    In this case, both posts are good, but YM's post gives actual, useful numbers for things and details what happens when you go past them. Lamp's is about how to check the number of edicts, but not what a good number is, or what the consequences really are. That's the difference between a simply informative post (Lamp's), and an informative and useful post (YM's). On their own, they are both missing something; together, YM's is the better of the two for most people.

It has nothing to do with YM or Lamp specifically. But that doesn't mean their thanks count doesn't reflect their tendencies, either.

Also, I don't tend to thank YM because that's one more thanks I need in my quest to displace him as the #2 Thanks Haver. So if I thank YM's post you know it's a good one.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    After having written all this i kinda just wanna not post it but fuck it

Well, I find Lampenpams post more useful than YMs. Lets just compare

YM
    Lampenpam
    Dude, I actually learned a new console command today.

Why don't we ask bamibal which post helped the most and would deserve a thanks? Maybe even both?

7. bamibal

bamibal L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Let's not fight about who has the most 'thanks', this isn't Facebook ok:p
    YM's reaction was for me more practical but only because I'm a complete noob and only started using Hammer last week. Then again Lampenpam´s reaction was more informative, giving me new terms to learn and a new console command to discover. So yeah, to me they were both useful, thanks Lampenpam and YM!

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  8. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    TIL getting "thanks" matters

You both posted helpful comments which answered the question perfectly well. What more is there to discuss?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    I don't mind getting less thanks. It's nothing uncommon that a more popular person gets more likes, thanks, +1s etc. (and a green cosmetic effect on the name, does mean he is more popular right?) and YM's post was pretty helpfull too

And to get back on topic:

Were those props in motion? Donsn't the server stop calculating physics and stop sending data about their position as soon they stoped moving, or are those informations always send?

Because I think it would make a difference if you just have like 500 physical bottle props lying around a football field, which move sometimes when a player shoots them, then having 500 bottles in a bounce house.

So couldn't you tecnicaly have 1000 physical props as long only a few of them move at a time?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    They were in motion for the first 2 seconds of their lives, then they were stationary after that (marked as debris so absolutely no collision detection). The lag started in weird 1-2 second stutters every 20-30 seconds. Then progressively got worse as more were added. It's amazing the server didn't actually crash.

11. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Ultimately, thanks mean fuck all. Forget about 'em. Just make helpful comments 'cos you want to be helpful.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Weird, is there a way to create client-sided physical objects? The only client-sided physical props I know are gibs spawned after a prop breaks.

13. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    prop_physics_multiplayer
    Physics Mode | Non-Solid, Client-side

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    The bottles and cans in TF2 are generally client side, they're affected by hitscan weapons. The server side ones, like hazard cones, aren't. Those are affected by explosion damage though. You can see it in the way they move, cones are jerky and bottles move smoothly

15. worMatty

aa worMatty Repacking Evangelist

Positive Ratings:
    I thanked YM because he taught me something I didn't know.

16. takabuschik

aa takabuschik

Positive Ratings:
    I thanked Bamibal because he managed to come out unscratched of a complicated situation, and didn't hurt any of the people's feelings by doing so.