How many maps have you made, but never finished?

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
Let us see. Well I am slowing making progress on 1 map in hammer, 5 on paper.

but about 5 little side projects to figure out the basics of hammer. Looks like I still got a lot of projects to go.

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
I've gone through about 10-15 different projects teaching myself how to work with hammer, none of which ever neared completion. Right now I'm on my first serious attempt to see a map through to completion, though how far it'll get remains to be seen.

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Lets see here after a year of mapping, I've got bunch of fail projects! Time to go down fail lane again...

First there was cp_mines, never released cause it was simply too big and had the fresh scent of mappers first fail.

Then came along dom_perfection, which fell through because of an unstable gamemode, and my lack of grasp in size.

Then comes along Tributary, while a very nice attempt, had one big feature NO ONE likes, water. It could have been good, but lack of play testing, feedback, and a core feature was just too much for the map that couldn't *sniff*

Now theres Cumulus, which is just about right... unless pub players have a fear of the terrain, and if they do I will kick them in the face.

[Hoolie]DrHouse

L1: Registered
Feb 20, 2009
I'd have to say...a shitton (mostly goldsrc though... CS 1.6, TFC, and NS)

Though I'm actually going ALL THE WAY with my first Source project. *dance*

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Before I made tf2 maps, I made a lot of CS:S gungame maps, so I made a good number of maps, I'm not saying they were any good, but still...maybe about 3/4 ths I never finish...and a small number of the ones that are finished are even worth anything.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
[Hoolie]DrHouse;55348 said:
I'd have to say...a shitton (mostly goldsrc though... CS 1.6, TFC, and NS)

Though I'm actually going ALL THE WAY with my first Source project. *dance*
Heh, me too. I seem to abandon Goldsrc projects way more frequently than I do Source ones. Funny too because I have a ridiculous affinity to Goldsrc over Source. :)

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Around 75 failed experiments in about 8 months of Mapping Experience.

Crowfoot was essentially a texture test. And then there were the maps simply made to push Source to it's limits. Now I have Fishbone. Which is well off and actually close to an Alpha release. Which you should expect within 2 weeks.

Puddy

L1: Registered
Dec 12, 2008
I ditched a ctf map that was almost complete. It was small and intended for 8-10 players on LAN's.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
3, all in very early alpha (few days of mapping), though one will be released as soon as demolition is more or less finished (aka beta).

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
I have yet to have one TF2 project I stopped working on. (Grid, Observatory, Waste, Grinder - All completed or in development).

I've had grid up for several months until Observatory's release.

I didn't make any 'experiment' maps because I learned how to use Hammer as I went through Observatory's development

The only other 3D engine I've had experience with is Build for Duke Nukem 3D.

I guess this has changed now, huh? :p

KaiserFate

L69: Deviant Member
Dec 9, 2009
I was expecting a lot more aborted slunks of maps from a mapping forum. XD
Since working on TF2 I've made two that I have no intention of finishing. Now I want to get serious.
On the other hand, in my Quake days I made about four maps that my friends and I used regularly, and about ten that I never bothered to complete.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I guess this has changed now, huh? :p

Hehe. :p

I used to be terrible at finishing maps. I was stuck in the phase of starting something then giving up on it several hours later.

Now I'm nowhere near as bad. I start fewer projects now then before and put more then enough thought into them that I can keep going for several months. In fact, since Nightfall I've only started 1 new map which I will continue once Nightfall enters beta.

Last edited: