How long does YOUR map take to compile?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Tigger

L2: Junior Member
Mar 29, 2008
Ok... I'm working on a submission for the pl collaboration, and the last chunk of edits have taken my map up to 8.5 minutes for a normal compile. I'm thinking that may be too long for map piece that's going to be used with other maps in the same compile. But I don't really know since this is my first map submission.

And yes, before you ask, I have used hint textures, and tied what elements I can into func_details.

So... how long does it take your maps to compile with normal settings? Inquiring minds want to know.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I can't really give an accurate answer for hoodoo since it hasn't been properly sealed for the last few weeks, it must take about 6 minutes for the first stage using the cordon tool though (on normal, only about 3-4 minutes on fast)
I expect that the entire map once finished and fully detailed will take about 20-30 minutes to compile on normal and with -final on it might take up to 60 minutes (but I suspect it will be more like 35-45)

Bloodstained took about 35-40 minutes for the final compile (using -final not normal)

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
You're missing something that needs to be func_detailed. Literally every time this solves the problem of long compiles.

Still, my map spywinder on final compile takes around 30 mins (hdr lighting is most of that)

My map was taking as long as 25 minutes to compile, but after I MangyCarface'd it it now compiles at under 10 minutes.

So I'll just double his post ;)

Tigger

Mar 29, 2008
I'm working on the pl collaboration and there's no detail added, just brushes with dev textures and tracks and a handful of models.

Everything's out in the open, and pretty much visible from anywhere else in the map. I'm guessing that's the real reason it takes so long.

How do people do train tracks? prop_static or prop_detail? I'm using prop_static since that allows for self shadowing and it makes the tracks look good.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
How do people do train tracks? prop_static or prop_detail? I'm using prop_static since that allows for self shadowing and it makes the tracks look good.

Always ask yourself, "What would VALVe do?". Then look at the decompiled maps.

Tigger

Mar 29, 2008
Interesting... I loaded the Portal File for my map and found out there were a couple of geometries that were causing problems, and that if cut up walls aren't capped by a ceiling block, they create groups on their seams that go to the top of the map.

I capped my walls with ceilings on top of them. Closed up a couple of skylights I'd added to some roofs. Took two major pieces of geometry and made them func_detail groups. Deleted the open water tank on my map.

Normal compiles are now down to about 2 and a half minutes, and a full HDR compile is less than 5 minutes. Nice.