How does a texture know what keyword it should be under?

MrHatlf

engineer main, majoring in exploiting
Feb 6, 2013
I had recently gotten YM's dev textures because they look better than the ones in the game. I had went to go look for them in my texture browsers when I had realised they aren't under the "tf" keyword search.

So, how does a texture know what keyword it should be found under?

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The VMT file needs "%keywords" "tf" in it. The dev texture pack doesn't have that but you can easily add it. Just make a new line before the final end bracket and stick it in. Mine looks like this:

9346dd6f22.png

VMTs are pretty cool.

Last edited:

MrHatlf

engineer main, majoring in exploiting
Feb 6, 2013
Thanks, Tyler. Hopefully other people can have a look at this whether they were having the same problem as me or making their own VMTs.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
FYI, you can put anything there. And there's a way to do more than one keyword I think, but I forget what it is? Maybe not.

Anyway, you can give any custom textures you make a custom keyword to find them quickly if you want. I don't think many TF2 level designers do this, but if you look at the content for the HL games, they do it a lot.

Mar 23, 2013
FYI, you can put anything there. And there's a way to do more than one keyword I think

Just tell them appart with a ","

"%keywords" "tf, arctic"

They are quite usefull when you want to filter for community asset packs. Most of them have their own keyword.