How do you start.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Pyrown!, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Pyrown!

Pyrown! L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Me and my friend are making a map, we have done all the sketches. Its a 5 cp forest/village map. Now we have a problem, we have no idea how we are going to start the mapping. You start on making the ground or something else? And how big should the walls be?
    Please help.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    It's much on preference on which part you want to focus on first, it's varied with everyone.

I myself usually start at a spawn room and work my way out to the middle, where as someone else may start with the middle and work their way to the spawn.

As it's an alpha, just block it out with simple brushes based off your sketches. Since you're going for a 5CP map as well, you only have to develop one side of the map, then copy+paste it round to make both sides the same.

3. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I'd recommend starting in the middle, so you can place the center control point right dead center where the green lines cross. It should make it easier to line up the other side when you make it. As for sizes, grazr wrote an excellent guide about scale. And walls are expected to be 16 units thick.

4. Pyrown!

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks.

5. Dustoxx

Dustoxx L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just a tip:
    I watched a lot of time-lapse videos and tutorials on youtube. In those kind of videos they begin from scratch so you can learn quite easily how to begin with something new:)

6. Waif

Waif L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not really, generally they are smaller so props like windows and doors can fit in snugly. I think approxiamtely 8 units, no lower than 4.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    I've only seen that on the rickety-looking wooden buildings, though, and those have 8-unit supports and playerclipping, making it still effectively 16. Remember that the flamethrower and rocket launcher can poke through 8-unit walls, so that keeps them from poking out from the inside.

And deciding what materials to use doesn't need to be done during the early layout phase.

8. Pyrown!

Positive Ratings:
    Can you post a link to the time laps and tutorials?

9. Dustoxx

Dustoxx L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  10. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well work around the hight of a person otherwise your map scale is going to be ethier to big or to small. Also it's generally a good idea to block out your map then go from there.

11. Stink Horse

Stink Horse L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Important question, do you have the ABS Mapping Pack? The spawn point uses the Engineer instead of Gordon Freeman. This means you can toss him around the map to check and see that the sizes are appropriate.

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=865

Also be sure to use the dev measure textures such as the 128 / 64u wall texture to be sure your scale isn't going out of control. Sticking to at least 64u objects allows you to be sure that the textures will fit well every time without you having to go in and futz with them.

As you work you'll find that the hard limits of your map will force you diverge from your drawings. Dont worry or feel back about going back to update your drawings. No plan survives hitting the pavement and but updating the designs you'll keep the look and feel of what you want fresh in your mind as well as allow you to communicate progress and the overall vision with your friend.