How do you start mapping on Mac?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by BladeOfJae, Nov 17, 2018.

1. BladeOfJae

BladeOfJae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    How do you start mapping on Mac?

I've gone through library to application support, steam apps, common, TF2, bin, but I don't seem to be able to find hammer. Is there a way to do it on Mac, or am I screwed. Thanks for all the help!

2. DrSquishy

aa DrSquishy ???

Positive Ratings:
    There is no hammer.app or hammer.jar (I think that's what mac uses), instead you need the .exe, and run it through wineskin or similar apps. Some people have had it work, others haven't. It's a bit of a hit and miss

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BladeOfJae

BladeOfJae L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thank you for the insight.

I guess I just won't get to ever make maps. Wineskin has never worked for me.

Cheers.

4. YoshiMario

aa YoshiMario

Positive Ratings:
    I've done mapping on Ubuntu (A Linux distro), and Basically, You'll have to find a way to install a windows version of Steam on your computer. I hear that WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) exists on Mac.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Muddy

aa Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah you gotta install the Windows version of Steam through Wine, install TF2 on it, and (optionally) change all of hammer's directories to your Mac install.

It's kind of finicky and it doesn't work perfectly (you have to detach all your toolbars and have them float over the 2D/3D views to get them to display properly) but it's doable. I've thought about writing a more detailed guide on getting Hammer running through Wine but I've just not gotten around to it...

• Thanks Thanks x 1