How do you sketch?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
So any sane person sketches out a plan before they map. How do you sketch? I design a layout in an architectual style, here's an example:

scan0001xf.jpg

Solid lines = Walls
Dashed lines = Ledges
Hatched areas = Overhead

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
You'll end up with only regular 90 degree forms if you plan that way. Nothing's wrong with it, but I think the result may be a little regular, static. I prefer a free-form layout plan.

DSCF2158.JPG

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
Generally i dont sketch unless there is too much info for my head to store, or i have an idea that im scared i'll forget :p

Sometimes when im on a train/bus ect, ill doodle ideas for layouts onto paper / newspaper which can be productive and lead to bigger and better things =]

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
I always sketch a general layout. It helps me to avoid major pitfalls in things like sightlines and plan optimization beforehand.

MoonQuake

L3: Member
Jul 18, 2009
Proudly wearing the insanity top hat!

For me 2D is way too restrictive, I prefer to iterate directly in 3D. It takes more time to "test the big picture", but it saves time when it comes to distances, space, line of sight, height evaluation iterations...etc...

Also, with experience and the more you play a game you're mapping for, the least necessary it is.

MQ

Garner

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 16, 2009
its all depends...

its like revising for an exam, some people dont revise much because they are able to recall taught information easily (mapping as you go / remembering what you wanted to do), where as some people are visual learners who have to reread notes and diagrams (mapping from drawings / plans)

My mapping is like Richard Simmons, i like a bit of both :p

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
I usually block out the main objective (last CP, payload path) and build around that. For some reason I can't sketch a good layout and then convert it into hammer. But that's just me.

Aug 10, 2009
Every map that I make starts as an idea then a sketch. Unfortunately as far as I go, I need to establish a theme which ironically helps me to decide what pathways I can use that fit with the theme, but I would rather my process be function > form.

Aanyways I always sketch out a map beforehand. It helps me to hash out the flow, and any side routes without getting reckless and overindulged in an idea. If you sketch it, you can always come back later after 20 minutes of work and say "thats ridiculous" versus saying that after 2 hours of work. I typically draw on all the bsp and make design notes, and include spawns and objectives but I don't put on health packs, or any optimization notes.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I do make sketches, but rarely top views. And if I do so, it's just so I can remember the layout roughly if I don't plan to start the map immediately after I sketch. I just draw some overviews of areas and try to make something interesting for each area of the map... the rest falls into place when I start.

Stormcaller3801

L5: Dapper Member
Jul 5, 2009
I've determined that my spatial awareness has a warning on it: objects are not to scale. In other words, if I try to guess or approximate, I'll be horribly horribly wrong and end up with some monstrosity that would need to violate three-dimensional space to work.

For that reason I tend to use SketchUp, as it allows me to work in three dimensions with fixed measurements and get an accurate idea of how much space I have. This doesn't necessarily mean that I won't end up with a map that is out of scale, but at least it'll all be out of scale together.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
When I come up with an idea I just grab a peace of paper and start sketching and 90% of the time it is completely different in hammer :p

Me too. I try to sketch down as many ideas as I can, and then I completely betray my own artistic vision. Nowadays I just try to sketch what the theme of the map will look like, to get an idea of what kind of place I'm designing.

Altaco

Jul 3, 2008
I have yet to find a system that allows me to effectively draw maps with multiple levels (which are really the ones that are the most fun). Anyone have any ideas, besides using something like sketchup?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I have yet to find a system that allows me to effectively draw maps with multiple levels (which are really the ones that are the most fun). Anyone have any ideas, besides using something like sketchup?

Multiple sheets of graph paper

Altaco

Jul 3, 2008
Multiple sheets of graph paper

Oh man, that could actually work really well if I got some tracing paper or something so I could see through it, I think I even have a light box somewhere I could use with it.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
Depends, I usually start off with an Idea, then build around that, sometimes, just to get an Idea of what my Map is going to look like, I'l draw some paths on a grid (Usually in Illustrator) but I rarely build to what I've drawn.