how do you guys design your maps?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by massacre master, Feb 23, 2018.

1. massacre master

massacre master L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was just wondering how you guys design your maps on paper. Do you start hammer after a rough drawing of top view, or do you decide every single measurement before using hammer?

2. Xelilian

aa Xelilian That guy with a battleship

Positive Ratings:
    I usually just get an idea and build off of it, but sometimes ill draw sections of my map and fill in the blanks to make it work (not the best method... i know im bad), here is a example: [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'll occasionally draw my layouts on paper when I'm bored or don't have enough of an idea about a layout to start in Hammer, but most of the time I can visualize my layout in my head and as such don't need to draw anything on paper. Sometimes I have an idea of a specific section of a map, but not the rest of it, so I just start building that section and mentally design the rest of the map as I build and see my idea in the 3D space. The second CP of cp_cathedral developed in my head as I was making the first CP in Hammer.

4. Jasper The Blank

Jasper The Blank L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get a vision from my brain and slap it on hammer, getting more visions and finally boom. A Skittelz map.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Pen and paper. I usually do a top-down view and then sketch out some key interest areas in 3D to just get it out of my head.

Example:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kobolite

aa Kobolite Eternally floating through time and space

Positive Ratings:
    i just try to make something until it looks like a good layout

7. massacre master

Positive Ratings:
    I do the overview of one area and test the FOV, another area, and connect these areas

8. VEssex

VEssex L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I just procedurally start building in hammer, deciding on chamber after chamber while placing down temporary info_player_start entities for size reference.

9. red3pit

red3pit L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I go to sleep, lay on my bed for about 30 minutes trying to sleep and failing because of tons of creative thoughts I get, I get up and start sketching ideas despite the fact I have to wake up in 2 hours and after I'm done, repeat.

Works everytime

10. A Bucket

A Bucket L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. Silver Scrublord

Silver Scrublord L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I make my maps on paper, make them in hammer, give up because the layout sucks, then start again.

I really can't make layouts lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. G.bo

G.bo L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I also do my maps on paper, but mostly because I had a lot of time in CAD class at my disposal. My teacher was totally cool with it too, so I'm not even doing it under the radar. I usually have a name or something that I work off of, unless I have a really good idea already.

EDIT: I'm willing to post pics of sections of my rough drafts. I would post the full picture, but I'm worried somebody might be a sneaky snake and do the ol' finish-the-design-before-the-original-creator-can-build-it-in-hammer-editor, or the FTDBTOCCBIIHE.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  13. Tango

Tango L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Bad advice form me but I just get frustrated before I even post my maps. Any solutions?

14. Floof Waffles

Floof Waffles L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What helped me was ignoring any thoughts I had telling me "this single brush is sooo similar to [existing map]" or "these doorways are horrible and too symmetrical and exposed to sightlines", because the whole point of developing a map is that you can chop and change it. What I have right now is essentially a worse version of 2fort, but I recognize that, and I see its flaws, and now that I've got a layout (regardless of whether it's good or makes me want to give up), I can change it to make it enjoyable and unique. Such is the beauty of mapping!

It doesn't hurt to take a break from the "important" parts either, I got sick of blocking it out, so I just started working on the 3D skybox. And loading the map up and seeing rocky mountains stretch way up high really gave a sense of size and space, and showed me how it could fit into my chosen theme. It showed me that my map could work, being able to envision those dev-textured blocks as buildings amongst that mountain.

Anyway yeah, the starting period of being a mapper is often the longest and most difficult, but once you finally push past it, it's so rewarding.

15. Floof Waffles

Floof Waffles L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    And another thing, one of my problems was that I wanted every map I made to be good. I couldn't handle having a bad first map. What you need to realize is that everyone makes bad maps when they start, and what you need to do is make something, regardless of how awful it is, as long as it's a playable map, listen to feedback and fine-tune it as much as possible, playtest it, and detail it up into a nice package. Once you have your first map, the rest falls into place in future

16. League_Heavy

League_Heavy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I would begin by drawing in my journal small ideas that would come in my head while brainstorming. Then i would put those ideas into my journal again as my beginning layouts for my maps. (did it today so lol.)

17. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Atleast for me I just let the map build itself like I just build something with a simple idea and let the map flow how it fits and I don't try to push anything. All my maps are made with this style and I feel it gives a good creative element

18. massacre master

Positive Ratings:
    what are your most successful maps?

19. ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ

ϺΞΤЯΘΉλϺ L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well I wouldn't say any of mine are successful lol just maybe a few portal 2 maps I made and maybe minery but meh

20. johanstefan02

johanstefan02 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I often make up a middle point or a room in my mind and go from there