How do you choose a server to play?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Jimmy Nicholls, Mar 1, 2011.

?

Which server do you choose?

1. Play? TF2? I thought it was just for making maps!

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. I stick to a few favourite servers mostly

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. I just find a server that has the map I want to play

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  4. I just join whatever my Friend is playing

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. Jimmy Nicholls

Jimmy Nicholls L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was just wondering what the server habits of the TF2maps community were like. I tend to stick to a bunch of servers that I like, Uberium, Playstuff and Hampshire Heavies mostly. I don't really play servers with more then 24 people, because they are too spammy. I mostly stick to official maps, unless there is a good custom running.

2. Nitram

Nitram L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I only really play on Uberium, and then HH when Uberium is empty :p

3. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a few favourites. If they're full or empty, I'll just hit the first 24-man server that is about 50% full with decent ping and a map I don't hate. It might become a favourite later on.

4. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I join whatever vanilla server has a spare space. Uberium, PCgamer.

5. Mariner

Mariner L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This thread needs multiple options, because I usually stick to favorites, but I also join my friends on whatever server (unless it's something like Mario Mod)

6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  7. Vincent

aa Vincent 🔨 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi 🔨

Positive Ratings:
  8. Jimmy Nicholls

Jimmy Nicholls L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I trusted you to be smart enough to pick the rule that applies most of the time :p Otherwise everyone would pick most of the options. I don't have a lot of RL friends who play this game anymore, but when they do I play with them. I also sometimes crave a specific map and go searching elsewhere. But most of the time I play the good Vanilla servers I have favourited.

9. ricardojvc6

ricardojvc6 L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I am voting none. I don't play TF2 to choose my favourite map. No...

10. RagnarHomsar

RagnarHomsar L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Normally I stick to TFKrew's server, or Death By Kukri occasionally, and drop whatever I'm doing and join TF2M's Dallas server when an impromptu happens (gamedays start when I'm at school).

Otherwise, filter servers by Max Playercount =<24, usually filter by cp_ (pl_ if I'm really bored), join whatever server has low ping (this usually means filtering region by West Coast) and isn't full.

11. kwp20 pitts

kwp20 pitts L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The above options don't apply to me, I just try to get on server that meet filter settings (I don't have really great internet).

12. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    I play Lotus's UK 2fort server, which is in my favourites list. Mostly because i actually get good rates in it, but also because i like 2fort. The usual problem being that i get excellent ping from german and southern UK servers (9-15). Which actually turns out to perform a lot worse than having a ping of 60+ (due to how the servers and clients communicate resolved damage and deaths). I have a number of badwater servers in my favourites list as well. Other than that i run sunday gamedays so i get a good dosage of custom and cooperative play there.

If my favourites are full, which is 50% of the time, i just join a random server and don't fuss too much about it. I also play over at Playstuff.net's servers, they were kind enough to provide me with admin powers over there too, which is nice.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  13. Duke Silas

Duke Silas L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I generally use favorites but at the moment I pick a server via my filter settings as the internet can be a bit hit & miss whilst I'm travelling.

14. Omena

Omena L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I play mainly on just 2 servers, they've been nice. LotusClan Payload 24/7 and Stock Maps

15. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hampshire Heavies

16. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    I don't, TF2L or whoever does the pug already arranged that

17. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I got my clan servers that I mainly play on (Slaughterhouse), I occasionally pop into a TF2M server if there's testing going on, and rarely I go to a random if I'm hankering to play a specific map (Hightower, Hydro, anything Arena).

18. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I look for a TF2M announcement, and if I feel like playing, I guess you could say I choose that server. Otherwise, I don't play at all. I gave up on regular pub servers long ago.