How do you change KOTH Rules?

Nov 28, 2017
I am making a KOTH map and it has a huge layout problem that I believe could be fixed if it had 3 types of spawn rooms. The 'original', 'winning' and 'losing' spawns is what I want to add.

The idea is that both teams spawn at their original spawns, and whichever team captures the control point gets the 'winning' spawn room, and the other the 'losing' spawn room. And if the other team captures it, then vice versa.

What should I do to correctly accomplish this? This is my first time editing the rules other than the norm and I don't want to screw up the map.

What I have in mind specifically to accomplish this is "when capture point is captured by 'team', then it deactivates the original spawns and activates the respective spawns."

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
First, name your info_player_teamspawn entities so they can be targeted by inputs independently. Groups of spawnpoints that activate and deactivate simultaneously can be given the same name. For example, all of your original spawns could be named "spawn_original", the spawns for when Red controls the point could be "spawn_red", and the spawns for when Blu controls the point could be "spawn_blu". You don't have to use these exact names; whatever you use, just remember whatever names you choose, and replace the names in the outputs below with whatever names you chose. Additionally, set all of your spawnpoints except for your original spawns to start disabled, so that when the round starts, players spawn at the original spawns rather than any of the winning/losing spawns.

Next, find the trigger_capture_area entity for your control point. It should be the central trigger brush making up your control point capture zone. Go to the Outputs tab and add the following outputs:
Output|Target|Input|Parameter|Delay*|Only Once
OnCapTeam1|spawn_blu|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam1|spawn_red|Enable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam2|spawn_blu|Enable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam2|spawn_red|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
OnEndCap|spawn_original|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
*The delay can be changed to whatever you wish, as long it is the same across each output, if you wish for there to be a delay between the point being captured and the spawns changing.

When the control point is captured, this will disable the original spawns, preventing players from spawning there. If it is captured by Red team (team 1), Red's winning spawns and Blu's losing spawns will enable, and Red's losing spawns and Blu's winning spawns will disable. If it is captured by Blu team (team 2), the opposite will happen.

You can also add similar logic to disable any spawnroom entities that you wish, such as resupply lockers and door triggers, and/or to prevent players from accessing certain spawnrooms at certain times. Note that for any spawns that block access while disabled, an option should be provided for players to leave without re-entering (such as making the door one-way, or teleporting players to their new spawn), so that players don't get trapped when the spawns change. (Teleporting players to their new spawn upon a spawn change may annoy players, so you may prefer the one-way door option.)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017
First, name your info_player_teamspawn entities so they can be targeted by inputs independently. Groups of spawnpoints that activate and deactivate simultaneously can be given the same name. For example, all of your original spawns could be named "spawn_original", the spawns for when Red controls the point could be "spawn_red", and the spawns for when Blu controls the point could be "spawn_blu". You don't have to use these exact names; whatever you use, just remember whatever names you choose, and replace the names in the outputs below with whatever names you chose. Additionally, set all of your spawnpoints except for your original spawns to start disabled, so that when the round starts, players spawn at the original spawns rather than any of the winning/losing spawns.

Next, find the trigger_capture_area entity for your control point. It should be the central trigger brush making up your control point capture zone. Go to the Outputs tab and add the following outputs:
Output|Target|Input|Parameter|Delay*|Only Once
OnCapTeam1|spawn_blu|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam1|spawn_red|Enable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam2|spawn_blu|Enable|<none>|0.00|No
OnCapTeam2|spawn_red|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
OnEndCap|spawn_original|Disable|<none>|0.00|No
*The delay can be changed to whatever you wish, as long it is the same across each output, if you wish for there to be a delay between the point being captured and the spawns changing.

When the control point is captured, this will disable the original spawns, preventing players from spawning there. If it is captured by Red team (team 1), Red's winning spawns and Blu's losing spawns will enable, and Red's losing spawns and Blu's winning spawns will disable. If it is captured by Blu team (team 2), the opposite will happen.

You can also add similar logic to disable any spawnroom entities that you wish, such as resupply lockers and door triggers, and/or to prevent players from accessing certain spawnrooms at certain times. Note that for any spawns that block access while disabled, an option should be provided for players to leave without re-entering (such as making the door one-way, or teleporting players to their new spawn), so that players don't get trapped when the spawns change. (Teleporting players to their new spawn upon a spawn change may annoy players, so you may prefer the one-way door option.)

Wow! Thank you for the quick reply! I'm gonna try this today and see if it works well. Again, thanks!