How do I plan a map?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dream-Chan, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Dream-Chan

Dream-Chan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Ok so I have been trying to start my current map, I run into a roadblock. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing; what order do I do things? When do I use displacements, when do I start fleshing out the mid, etc etc. I don't know if I'm overthinking things or if I'm genuinely doing something wrong and it's driving me up the wall.

2. L.A.1o2

L.A.1o2 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey, if you have grid paper/normal paper, sketch a top-view of the layout(After deciding a theme),
    then do a rough form (Box here box there),
    put ramps where applicable for some displacements,
    add points(Or whatever correlates to the gamemode) and logic,
    move onto sky box stuff and env_lighting,
    and from there on out its detailing and props,
    as well as clipping and more lights!

The best thing I find is to plan what I do on what day: Red spawn today, blu tomorrow? or blu today, red tomorrow? Ect.

3. Huwareyou

Huwareyou L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I used to sketch stuff on a notepad when I first started, but now when I have an idea and i'm in the mood for mapping I just start blocking in hammer

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Huwareyou

Huwareyou L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've stopeed using displacements early on in a map because it always makes me go off grid - My last payload map had a last that had half the blocks off by 1 hammer unit and it was really annoying to fix lol

5. nesman

aa nesman master of fast travel

Positive Ratings:
  6. Cyberen

Cyberen L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    There's many ways to start a map. Maybe you have an idea of the centerpiece. Maybe you have a feeling or a theme you want to express. Whatever the case, it's a lot easier to sketch the map than trying to improvise in hammer. When inspiration strikes, it's best to get the idea down quickly.