Lokk iz a skul

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2018
I'm making a lava pit in a map that I'm working on. However, I can't for the life of me find out a way to make the lava itself emit light. (The lava being a block with a lava texture)
How can I/can I make it emit light without using a separate light source?

Narpas

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Unfortunately, I do not think there is a way in Source for anything that's not a light entity (or a player/NPC using a flashlight) to emit light on its own. The VDC contains information on how to make textures light themselves, however that won't actually emit light from the texture. You *could* hack together something with skybox textures and a light_environment, but then the actual sky wouldn't be able to function correctly, so the map would have to be entirely indoors

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
Unfortunately, I do not think there is a way in Source for anything that's not a light entity (or a player/NPC using a flashlight) to emit light on its own. The VDC contains information on how to make textures light themselves, however that won't actually emit light from the texture. You *could* hack together something with skybox textures and a light_environment, but then the actual sky wouldn't be able to function correctly, so the map would have to be entirely indoors

Funny, It seems like source should have some sort of brush entity that illuminates on it's own. I think that's a must have.

But I suppose you can replicate the same effect with light entities.

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
You can create a lights.rad file that references your lava texture with the light values you want.
There's a default lights.rad file which contains a bunch of stock textures configured to emit light,
open it up and look at some of the things in there to get an idea of how it's done, then make your own file and tell your compiler to use it.