How do I fix reflective textures?

mmik

L2: Junior Member
Dec 28, 2008
I tried attaching a cubemap to them, like with water, but the reflective surfaces just go purple-black checkered. Do they need specific skyboxes in the map to reflect correctly? I would assume that'd mean I couldn't take textures from different maps, since I can only have one skybox, but that doesn't sound right, so I dunno.

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
Did you build the cubemaps after you compiled the map with flag of -both so you get both HDR and LDR lighting.

You then need to load the map as 'Create Server' and run the following in this order

sv_cheats 1
buildcubemaps
mat_hdr_level 0
map YOURMAPNAME
sv_cheats 1
buildcubemaps
mat_hdr_level 2
map YOURMAPNAME

Once you have done this it will build the cubemaps for both LDR and HDR lighting and save them into the bsp file. The next time you play the game the checkers should be gone. You likely do not need to enable sv_cheats more then once but I do it for good measure and in this order with no problems.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cubemaps

-Teddy

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
So I need all of those? Ok, I thought I just had to type "buildcubemaps" and I'd be done.

Can I just run the map through hammer, or do I need to startup the game manually and create-server? Also, wouldn't "map YOURMAPNAME" just make me reconnect to my map? Or is that what I'm supposed to do?

thanks for the help

also, when I type buildcubemaps, it gives me these messages in console:

Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
Can't load skybox file sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!

I believe there will be a problem, but I'm gonna go down that list and see if it turns out correct.

K, it seemed to turn out fine. I don't really know what those errors are, then.

Last edited:

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
OH: Make sure to turn off specular things.

mat_specular 0.

Otherwise, it'll look funky.

teddyruxpin

Sr. Hygiene Technician
Mar 24, 2008
So I need all of those? Ok, I thought I just had to type "buildcubemaps" and I'd be done.

Can I just run the map through hammer, or do I need to startup the game manually and create-server? Also, wouldn't "map YOURMAPNAME" just make me reconnect to my map? Or is that what I'm supposed to do?

thanks for the help

also, when I type buildcubemaps, it gives me these messages in console:

Current mod isn't in a subdirectory of "game"!
Can't load skybox file sky_dustbowl_01 to build the default cubemap!

I believe there will be a problem, but I'm gonna go down that list and see if it turns out correct.

K, it seemed to turn out fine. I don't really know what those errors are, then.

Build your map as per normal and then start TF2. Use the 'Create Server' feature and load your map. Open the dev console and type those commands in the order I gave them and you will be all set after the last map change. Then you can exit the game and upload your map.

-Teddy

mmik

Dec 28, 2008
when do i turn off the mat thing? do i keep it off during the whole process?

Jan 31, 2008
sv_cheats 1
mat_specular 0
buildcubemaps
mat_hdr_level 0
map YOURMAPNAME
sv_cheats 1
buildcubemaps
mat_hdr_level 2
map YOURMAPNAME
mat_specular 1
mat_reloadallmaterials