How do I change the align selection for a brush face?

JMRboosties

L2: Junior Member
Jun 3, 2009
I have some angled brushes that meet one another, and the alignment on then does not match. Some are world, and some are world and face. I want to change it so the textures match up correctly, yet I can't deselect world or face from the ones with both, and for the ones with 1 it just switches back and forth; I can't select both. Any way around this?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
"alt" click the adjacent face whilst the original face selected. If you always have the adjacent face selected, it will allign the next face.

Alternatively, have a look at the different texture application modes on your menu. It's always a good idea to see what tools you have at your disposal.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
What grazr said about alt+rightclick is probably what will help you.

As for the world/face thing, it's operating the way it should, but I can probably help you understand.
They refer to which "normal" (axis perpendicular to the plane of the face) the texture will be projected from. The world normals are positive x, y and z. The face normal is obviously dependent on the face. When these happen to match up both options are checked because there is no choice to be made, and when they are not the same you must pick one or the other.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
That said, i've often had issues with forcing a texture to allign in this fashion, to a 45 degree face that lies 315 degrees from its adjacent face. The face alligns perfectly fine, but it gets flagged as a huge error in my compile log. Damn.. it'd be useful if i could remember the error. Possibly the texture being perpendicular to its face, but i'm not sure.

I can't remember whether it actually broke my compile process or not. But it certainly didn't like it at all.

You'll probably also enquire as to why i would want to do that.. but i'm afraid my pride denies an answer to that question.