How do i add a ladder.?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

manhuntworld

L1: Registered
Feb 6, 2008
Hi guys, im pretty new to mapping in TF2 and this may sound an easy question but how do you add a ladder. Alot of the tutorials i have seen are only for hl2 and cs and so on, but im not sure how to add a ladder for TF2.

Thanks.

hUnT :)

Oct 25, 2007
Unfortunately, ladders don't work in TF2. :(

You could put an invisible elevator brush next to a ladder to make it look like someone is climbing, but that's about all you can do.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
You can use the elevator idea, or you can make a nearly vertical stairway with the steps 8 units high but only 1 or 2 units deep.

I've played on maps with both ideas implemented in TF2. I don't think even these fake type ladders work well for the TF2 gamestyle. They restrict movement and slow down the gameplay. TF2 is fast and frantic. Give players some nice ramps and stairways, stay away from ladders. There's probably a good reason Valve decided not to implement them in this case.

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Better is, make the actual steps invisible, and place a model for a ladder there to make it look better.

But i won't do ladders since it doesnt work in tf2.

werny

Jan 20, 2008
It wasnt the greatest, but I saw somebody just use a push brush on the ladder model, to push you up

fartron

Jan 27, 2008
Narrow steps works well. The maximum step height is 16 units, and they can be as shallow as you need them to be. It's a quick way to move vertically, and players can shoot while on it. I haven't tested mine with a lot of lag, so I don't know how the prediction handles it, but I'd assume stairs are pretty well covered.

necro

L3: Member
Mar 24, 2008
hey guys, i tried the steep stairway method, but the player moves fullspeed horizontally, which means they're at the top of the ladder in a split second

is there a way to slow down a player's movement?

Half-Life_Maniac

L3: Member
Nov 30, 2007
Yes- do it properly and use real stairs! Lifts are unreliable in Source, and "fake ladders" even more so. Stairs (especially twisty stairwells) make for much more interesting gameplay.