How could I make the cart go forward, AND BACKWARDS ?

Burnout6010

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 14, 2012
Hello

I am currently making a Tug O' War style map and am making the cart. My problem here is that I don't want to use the Tug O' War prefab because of the text messages on screen, which I can replace by the normal and official way with "SetNumTrainCappers" sent to the train watcher by "OnNumCappersChanged"

My first problem is that the cart is stuck half way in the ground and thus moves barely and if it ever moves, it provocates A HOLY EARTHQUAKE ON THE WHOLE MAP :O

The second problem, is that if the cart is asked to move backwards, the console says something in the lines "Bad SetLocalAngularVelocity"

Do I need to provide the .vmf ? :S

Thanks !

Jyyst

L1: Registered
Aug 24, 2012
My first problem is that the cart is stuck half way in the ground and thus moves barely and if it ever moves, it provocates A HOLY EARTHQUAKE ON THE WHOLE MAP :O
I'm pretty sure that the cart doesn't mind going through solid brushes if the track it's on says that it goes through a solid brush. Then again I have very limited experience with payload. :D

Burnout6010

Oct 14, 2012
I'm pretty sure that the cart doesn't mind going through solid brushes if the track it's on says that it goes through a solid brush. Then again I have very limited experience with payload. :D

Well actually since it's a physic prop it does interact with world geometry, this is what causes it to do the huge earthquake but I have no idea how to fix it ;_;

Burnout6010

Oct 14, 2012
Just a wild guess, but maybe it would move backwards if the speed is <0

Thanks ! It worked :3

Now I just have to find a way to move the cart so that I can finally prepare for a gameday but making a Tug O War cart is like planting a stick up your arse ... :O

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
To get the cart out of the ground, make sure that the path_tracks are above the ground. I don't have a reference in front of me, but I believe 48 units is the correct distance.

Burnout6010

Oct 14, 2012
To get the cart out of the ground, make sure that the path_tracks are above the ground. I don't have a reference in front of me, but I believe 48 units is the correct distance.

Thank you also :)
I wonder how I can make the CP capturing work right ... I'll look into the tug o war prefab

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Actually, the cart will travel with the origo of the func_tracktrain at the set distance above the track. You don't have to move the path_tracks if you set the distance.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
The height of the cart can actually be adjusted in three ways: moving the path_track, moving the func_tracktrain origin, changing the "height above track" key in the train properties. They don't all work the same either, since changing the point of rotation will affect how it behaves on hills.

The cart shouldn't be colliding with the world if it is set high enough, unless your track props are set to be solid (they shouldn't be).

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Additionally, the settings also control where the cart generated spectator camera is.