How can we add NPCs please ?

Lawz

L1: Registered
Aug 31, 2011
[Solved] How can we add NPCs ?

Hello, I've just started making maps with Hammer (yesterday...), but I have a problem : I would like to add NPCs. Any class, any color, but at least a still NPC that can interact with rockets for instance. The aim is to do a couple of training maps, some for me, some for friends (airshot as a soldier, basic technics as a spy).
If it is possible, I would also like to be able to animate them, only make them run were I want, or make them jump.

I've searched almost everywhere on the Internet, read a lot of tutorials, but I've only found NPCs for HL² or other games supported by Hammer, but not TF2.

Does anyone know where I can find it ? If it is on an existing tutorial, sorry for not having found it, and can you link it to me please ?

Thanks in advance

(sorry for my poor English)

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
TF2 doesn't support NPC's. Excluding the "boss", aka the HHH, in cp_mann_manor; which has a limited use and hard coded functionality (you cannot modify it).

Essentially and as the short answer, this is impossible.

The long answer is download tr_walkway which allows you to practice against bots: Set what classes, their speed, their movement such as strafing etc. Bots are the only real way of fighting against other "players" that wont be smarter than you. tr_walkway should be all you need to train your TF2 skills.

Failing that for things such as anti-engi spy play, aint no better way to learn the ropes than in game. Only by playing against skilled players will you truely become skilled yourself.

Last edited:

Lawz

Aug 31, 2011
Thank you for this fast answer. I had seen on a video a soldier that trains on a custom map with only a few "bots" that only jump or stay still, from what you said this map was created thanks to tr_walkway ? (I prefer having a confirmation before starting learning something quite long for me, I don't know anything yet).

This is not the 1st multiplayer game I have played (I have played other games HL) so I know that to be good the only way is to play against skilled people, but to start it is always good to train against specific bots that will reproduce basic strats. Several people talked to me about this kind of map, and it is much faster to repeat the same action that will also be done in real MP on bots than to wait several minutes for the occasion to come in real MP. Especially the best way to gain precision in airshots is to train on still bots (They will move the same way in the air if they are bots or real players).
But sure, this is useful mainly for beginners. And I'm a beginner at TF2 ;)

edit : I had not understood tr_walkway is a map... I have downloaded it this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you again for this. Now I will keed making maps because it is interesting, and I would like to add bots, just as they do on their map, how did the people who made the map do ? :s

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Adding bots is a server related function. tr_walkway forces it with some "cvar" commands which basically require cheats to function. This is why you will never see this on server rotations (besides the fact that it isn't a multiplayer map).

If you create a map there is no need to force bots and it serves little purpose besides how this map uses them. Leave bots to server operators who will run bots on or off in their server configuration files.

Also sorry for the confusion, yes, tr_walkway is a map, not a console command. I guess i should have pointed that out, it seemed like common knowledge to me but i guess someone asking these kinds of questions wouldn't know.

And yea, this map is great for air-shot practice.

Lawz

Aug 31, 2011
I discovered Hammer yesterday so I don't know anything yet, yes I thought it was something else.

Anyway, all I wanted to know and to do is ok (thanks to your last post), should I add [solved] in the topic name ?