How can I get a hollwed out circle brush?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Open Blade, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Open Blade

Open Blade L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I want to make a neat old style well for my map and I can't model so I am stuck trying to make this with brushes. The top part I can make easy but am having trouble with the brick round base. I can make a 12 sided cylinder easy enough but of course it's solid. I need the midle open to drop the well down into the earth. Can you carve circles? I tried doing it with 2 arches but that just looks stupid. Any help would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
  3. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    ^ use the hollow as your guide, go through after and vertex align everything.

4. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    how do i hollow a 128 sided sphere without my hammar crashin?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You use maya, XSI, 3DS max, blender, milkshape.... get the picture?
    For making rediculously complex shapes use a modeling program rather than hammer.

oh, and it doesn't crash, it just takes forever if you tell it to carve something stupid and it locks up just leave it be for 20 minutes, it shouldn't take much longer than that.

6. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    128 sides? for a well? 32 should already look pretty smooth :p

7. Dox

Dox L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    depending on how many sides you want (more sides makes it look smoother but will be harder to render) it might look something like this: [​IMG]

EDIT: the inside points to the extreme left and right need to be moved, wish i had done that...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  8. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    <3

9. R3dRuM

R3dRuM L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    i want to get the 128 hollowed sphere and place it in a series of vertical blocks and carve it out of those blocks to make a spherical void. and i want the hollowed part to be 1 unit thin and i want to texture each side a different texture and the run around in it.

My hammar crashed...

10. Open Blade

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, but hollow doesn't help since there would be no viewable hole in the cylinder. It just hollows out the middle, you still are left with sides, a floor and a top. Although, if I can clip the top off, that just might work. Will try.

EDIT: Yep, that worked like a charm. Clipped the top and bottom off, all that's left is the perfect round sides. Awesome, thanks guys. It's not a work of art but it works.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  11. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    should still get into the habit of using vertex for that.

If you still want to use the tools though, after that right click "ungroup" then you can select and remove the top brush by itself.

*cough* use vertex not tools*

12. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was bored so I goofed around in hammer for a few minutes.
    [​IMG]

I can send you the .vmf if you want it.

13. Open Blade

Positive Ratings:
    that looks awesome, yeah, send it over. Thanks.

14. AWESOME-O

AWESOME-O L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer just shuts itself down, it already knows that it will crash your pc :) To bad :(

15. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Is that a displacement well?!?!?

16. Bonafide

Bonafide L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    you dont need to clip the top and bottom of the cylinder. Just ungroup the cylinder brushes and delete the top and bottom.

17. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    Yes. It took about 5 seconds to make. Originally I was going to use a rocky texture and distort it slightly to make the rocks look realistic, however I couldn't find a good default tf2 texture.

The other super duper easy option would be to use the arch tool, set it to 360 degrees, 8 width, and 16 sides. I didn't like this option because i wanted the base of the well to be wider than the top.

I dunno... I didn't mean to take over this thread with a screenshot. I have fun doing little projects like this when I don't have a lot of time to devote to TF2.

I think it would be really awesome to have threads that are "replicate this google image w/ tf2" and release those results to the community as an open source resource.

I'm at work now, but I'll put the .vmf up when I get home.

18. Open Blade

Positive Ratings:

Cool, can't wait to get that well. Looks great. Thanks.

19. What Is Schwa

Positive Ratings:
    www.whatisschwa.com/files/well.vmf

If the link brings you to a text page try right clicking the link and pick "save file as"

The "pedestal" that the well sits on can be deleted I if you want players to be able to jump into the well and fall into another area.

I don't care about credit or anything. Enjoy!