How can i extract Models from hammer and put them in a 3d program like blender?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Dog.vtf

L1: Registered
Sep 2, 2017
Does anyone know if and how I can extract models from hammer and import them into blender?

For example, Extracting two models (Specifically cart_base_seperate and barrel01.) and combining them in Blender like how I have it looking in hammer right now.
Smur0M4.png

To create some kind of toxin-payload or something. for a cliche "Someones poisoned the water-hole" payload map

Ælement

Comfortably mediocre
aa
Dec 21, 2010
Hammer loads the models from the tf2 .vpk's, which can be opened and extracted with GCFScape.

The vpk's are located in the tf folder. tf_misc_dir.vpk holds models and materials while tf_textures_dir.vpk holds textures. Note that all models will have their materials and textures stored under \materials\models.

I believe there are tools for blender that can import the extracted .mdl files. I personally use 3ds max for the task; there is a plugin for 3ds called "wall worm" that can do exactly what you want to do quite easily. I used it myself when i made a custom mvm upgrade station
PujPVfi.png

Last edited:

Columbidae

L1: Registered
Jul 28, 2017
crowbar is really easy to use. It has simple compile/decompile functions. Decompiled models will output as .smd files. If you wanted to edit and re-export said meshes via blender, you will also need blender source tools. Just make sure to edit the qc file before compiling yourself a new model. This generally should involve just changing the modelname property

-edit: And renaming the exported mesh and combining material paths, etc.

Last edited: