How are you supposed to make [working] glass doors?

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Ninamori

L1: Registered
May 7, 2015
I'm looking to make something similar to the doors like on Special Delivery (the glass ones behind you when you spawn in). I found the handles, but I'm not sure how they made the glass part.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
The glass doors on doomsday are actually just brushes situated around the handles:

aAzkpsW.png

This page has a download to the doomsday vmf if you want to see for yourself.

Last edited:

Idolon

they/them
aa
Feb 7, 2008
They're made of brushes, using the textures glass/glasswindow002c and metal/metalchrome001. If you want to see exactly how it's done, take a look at this thread of decompiled maps and check out the .vmf for yourself. I'd recommend making the door from scratch yourself, though, because you'll learn more that way.

EDIT: Egan beat me to the punch

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
So I guess if I wanted to make it look like a pair of moving glass doors I would just make the handles, and brush move as one?

Oct 6, 2008
yes

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
Actually I just noticed that the hinges, the metal bar that goes across is all once piece. I'm pretty sure that I can't get only the middle (where the actual door is) to move on it's own. I think I may have to build a new door from scratch for this one.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
EDIT: Basically exactly what I was just about to say.

May I suggest copying the doors from Turbine? Doors that swing open and closed are generally discouraged in this game because it's possible for people to get stuck in them.

Ninamori

May 7, 2015
EDIT: Basically exactly what I was just about to say.

May I suggest copying the doors from Turbine? Doors that swing open and closed are generally discouraged in this game because it's possible for people to get stuck in them.
That's what I am thinking.

That or I could give the door 500 damage, and it would obliterate pretty much anything it gets stuck on, but somehow I think that might tick off people :p.

Oct 6, 2008
I put 1 million damage done on a random death train - killed even the uber charges :p

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
It is easy to make all parts move as one piece. Put all the brushes in one brush entity and parent all the props to the brush entity.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
That's what I am thinking.

That or I could give the door 500 damage, and it would obliterate pretty much anything it gets stuck on, but somehow I think that might tick off people :p.

I dunno, that just sounds hilarious.