How are you supposed to make [working] glass doors?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Ninamori, May 14, 2015.

1. Ninamori

Ninamori L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm looking to make something similar to the doors like on Special Delivery (the glass ones behind you when you spawn in). I found the handles, but I'm not sure how they made the glass part.

2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    The glass doors on doomsday are actually just brushes situated around the handles:

[​IMG]

This page has a download to the doomsday vmf if you want to see for yourself.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  3. Idolon

aa Idolon the worst admin

Positive Ratings:
    They're made of brushes, using the textures glass/glasswindow002c and metal/metalchrome001. If you want to see exactly how it's done, take a look at this thread of decompiled maps and check out the .vmf for yourself. I'd recommend making the door from scratch yourself, though, because you'll learn more that way.

EDIT: Egan beat me to the punch

4. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    So I guess if I wanted to make it look like a pair of moving glass doors I would just make the handles, and brush move as one?

5. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    yes

6. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    Actually I just noticed that the hinges, the metal bar that goes across is all once piece. I'm pretty sure that I can't get only the middle (where the actual door is) to move on it's own. I think I may have to build a new door from scratch for this one.

7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    EDIT: Basically exactly what I was just about to say.

May I suggest copying the doors from Turbine? Doors that swing open and closed are generally discouraged in this game because it's possible for people to get stuck in them.

8. Ninamori

Positive Ratings:
    That's what I am thinking.

That or I could give the door 500 damage, and it would obliterate pretty much anything it gets stuck on, but somehow I think that might tick off people :p.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Kill_the_Bug

Kill_the_Bug L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    I put 1 million damage done on a random death train - killed even the uber charges :p

10. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    It is easy to make all parts move as one piece. Put all the brushes in one brush entity and parent all the props to the brush entity.

11. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    I dunno, that just sounds hilarious.