ARENA Hot Spring

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by tyler, Dec 23, 2010.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Hi guys. Before I start in on this thread, please know that this is not a very serious map at all.

arena_hot_spring is identical to another map, arena_pool_day, except for the fact that it doesn't look terrible. (If you have no idea what Pool Day is, it's a Counter Strike map. I think it's a joke map in CS too, but honestly I don't know a damn thing about CS.)

Anyway. The real reason for posting this thread isn't for design feedback or anything (I am sticking as close to Pool Day as possible so it just kinda looks dumb sometimes and it's not a very well thought out map). What I want from you guys is help optimizing this thing: normally in Tf2 I get 100+ fps, but playing this tiny map I get more like 30-60.

Part of this is the inherent unoptimizability of Pool Day, and therefore of Hot Spring. Part of it is surely that I just threw in a ton of trees like Pool Day did. Part of it is probably the way the fog is generated because I'm probably an idiot.

Anyway, please download the .vmf and take a look at it. I'm not too good at hinting, so you can probably find a way to improve anything I did. Also, I don't think I used occluders at all, but I'm not too sure how useful they'd be here.

Again: not interested in balance or gameplay tweaks or anything of the kind. That's not the idea here. It's a love it or hate it map and honestly that's irrelevant to the task of optimizing.

2. h3r1n6

h3r1n6 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    OH NO IT WILL PLAY SO BAD RAWRAWRAW!

Have you read this?
    http://optimization.interlopers.net/index.php

Use mat_wireframe 1 to see what gets rendered.

It's probably the amount of fog though. The trees shouldn't be too costly to render.

3. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, but I'm still not very good at this. I think it is the fog though. How else can I make fog/steam?

4. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

And yes, it's the fog I think.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  5. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Right now it's a func_dustcloud. That's probably stupid? I'm not sure what else to do though.

6. Engineer

aa Engineer

Positive Ratings:
    Particles?

7. FiLi

FiLi L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hotsprings?
    Mother 3 anyone?

8. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  9. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Put dat Medieval Mode on brotha!

10. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  11. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Alright!

Turns out it is definitely the func_dustcloud. Also turns out I am pretty bad at particle systems. Who can I convince to make me some fog/steam for this little spring?

12. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    You can probably edit some of the hl2 steam vent textures pretty easily (keep the sprites, which are the hardest part). That's my suggestion.

EDIT: what am I talking about? There is something like func_steam or smoke or something hold on let me find it..

here it is...

env_steam. Use it :O

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  13. tyler

Positive Ratings:
  14. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately, env_steam comes out in a cone. I can't control the base size except by increasing particle size and in general it just doesn't work here. Duplicating it makes my TF2 crash, also! So that's neat.

I think I really will have to make a particle system, but so far my attempts to understand tutorials are futile. I am having a really hard time learning to use the editor when all the tutorials are like "Screw knowing what anything is! This is how you make a fucking fireball!"

hhhhh

15. marviraptor

marviraptor L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Download is broken, anyone still have the map?