Horizon

KotH Horizon RC1

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
Terrace - Terrace is a viaduct-styled king of the hill map set in a small town in italy

Terrace is a viaduct-styled king of the hill map set in a small town in italy.

About a year ago, when I first started mapping I attempted to make a koth map set in italy. Needless to say it was terrible, overscaled, fullbright and broken. The main other problem with the map was the lack of good textures and models that fitted the theme, but now with the release of the frontline pack ive decided to give it another shot. Let me know what you think!

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
That sounds like a good idea for a map!
Playing around so far something feels weird about how flat it is - you're not fooling me with the really subtle differences in height around the floor of mid with those small steps. Railings might get in the way of combat also -?

Personally I'd bump these boards ~8 units closer together because it's a bit ambiguous whether players can stand on top of or fall through when you first eye these.

It also feels weird that players can capture the point from the far edges of the hedges surrounding the middle platform, maybe pull in the cap trigger.

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
Looking at the screenshots, the geometry looks super clean and cool. I like it.

Also Italy theme I like.

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
Made a few small changes and fixes based on feedback:

A2 Changelog:
- Reduced size of cap area slightly to stop players from capping behind the hedges

- Reduced the spacing between beams on wooden structures at mid so it is clear they cant be fallen through

- Fixed clipping in some places

- Changed the grassy areas either side of mid to make attacking from this angle harder

- Added cubemaps

- Reduced respawn wave times

- Reduced health and ammo

- Far left out of bounds area is now a garden, I may open this up to see how it plays

- Fixed detail sprites

- Heightened wall of spawn area to make sense to have a clip brush

Read the rest of this update entry...

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
more major changes this time as well as a few fixes and tweaks

changelog:
-rebuilt spawn areas to make all different routes more equal
-spawn areas are now sealed off from the rest of the map
-opened up the garden area and added a new route going into the houses on the sides
-minor detail inprovements
-optimization improvements

probably more that ive forgotten as well

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
Its been a while, but finally ive gotten around to making a few changes,here they are:

-The middle point has been completely redesigned to make it easier for teams to recapture and harder for teams to stay on the point
-the far right area has been redesigned (again), removing the hedge walls and making the route more visible
-added some crates and planks by the tunnel to help players access mid
-minor clipping changes to make parkour easier

Heres a few screenshots:
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg
06.jpg

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
its been a while, but here's what been changed:
-redesigned the far right area (again) and added a new higher route
-angled the exit from the right building at mid to direct players towards the control point
-angled the window exit at mid and enlarged the window
-removed the area underneath the control point and added trees on either side of the capture zone
-removed small walls in some parts of the map to make it easier to move around without getting caught
-improved clipping
-lowered the height of the huts by the capture point

Necrσ

aa
Nov 16, 2015
So as you can probably tell by the screenshots, I've had a change of mind, particularly around the overall theme of the map. As you probably know Terrace was intended to be set in a European town, however I've decided to switch the theme to a badlands desert-ish sorta theme for a few reasons. I started detailing terrace about a month back after the last version was released and detailed pretty much all of blu's side of the map. While it turned out alright I wasn't really happy with it and after a while completely ran out of ideas. I tried various things but none of them turned out great, so instead of abandoning the map altogether, i'm trying a different approach. I'm pretty happy with what I've achieved so far with the new theme, but we'll see what happens. However if anyone would be interested in picking up where I left off with the other version, it would be cool to see it finished in the original theme. Also if anyone has any name suggestions let me know since Terrace no longer really fits the theme of the map.

oh and also, the assets that I created for the previous version of Terrace will be released soon once I fix em up a bit.

Screenshots:
koth_terrace_b10005.jpg
koth_terrace_b10004.jpg
koth_terrace_b10003.jpg
koth_terrace_b10002.jpg
koth_terrace_b10001.jpg
koth_terrace_b10000.jpg

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
damn... that theme change changed the entire feel of the map... I do really like how the map looked previously, and I do really enjoy how it looks now... It would have been awesome to see where the old theme went, but I do, however, see GREAT things in this maps future...

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
It may not be a unique theme, but I am personally perfectly fine with the way he's going... there may have been some serious flaws that hindered his ability to actually make the map, that showed up with that theme... so he switched themes, and now has a lot more freedom with the map...