KotH Horizon RC1

Formerly known as KOTH_Terrace

1. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Terrace - Terrace is a viaduct-styled king of the hill map set in a small town in italy

Terrace is a viaduct-styled king of the hill map set in a small town in italy.

About a year ago, when I first started mapping I attempted to make a koth map set in italy. Needless to say it was terrible, overscaled, fullbright and broken. The main other problem with the map was the lack of good textures and models that fitted the theme, but now with the release of the frontline pack ive decided to give it another shot. Let me know what you think!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Egan

aa Egan

Positive Ratings:
    That sounds like a good idea for a map!
    Playing around so far something feels weird about how flat it is - you're not fooling me with the really subtle differences in height around the floor of mid with those small steps. Railings might get in the way of combat also -?

Personally I'd bump these boards ~8 units closer together because it's a bit ambiguous whether players can stand on top of or fall through when you first eye these.

It also feels weird that players can capture the point from the far edges of the hedges surrounding the middle platform, maybe pull in the cap trigger.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    Looking at the screenshots, the geometry looks super clean and cool. I like it.

Also Italy theme I like.

4. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Made a few small changes and fixes based on feedback:

A2 Changelog:
    - Reduced size of cap area slightly to stop players from capping behind the hedges

- Reduced the spacing between beams on wooden structures at mid so it is clear they cant be fallen through

- Fixed clipping in some places

- Changed the grassy areas either side of mid to make attacking from this angle harder

- Added cubemaps

- Reduced respawn wave times

- Reduced health and ammo

- Far left out of bounds area is now a garden, I may open this up to see how it plays

- Fixed detail sprites

- Heightened wall of spawn area to make sense to have a clip brush

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    more major changes this time as well as a few fixes and tweaks

changelog:
    -rebuilt spawn areas to make all different routes more equal
    -spawn areas are now sealed off from the rest of the map
    -opened up the garden area and added a new route going into the houses on the sides
    -minor detail inprovements
    -optimization improvements

probably more that ive forgotten as well

6. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Changes:
    -Added a new route on the far left that leads to a dropdown window
    -expanded the areas of either side of mid (again) which are no longer displacments
    -added a few out of bounds areas around the map
    -added a few custom props
    -adjusted spawn positions
    -added soundscapes
    -added areaportals

7. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Its been a while, but finally ive gotten around to making a few changes,here they are:

-The middle point has been completely redesigned to make it easier for teams to recapture and harder for teams to stay on the point
    -the far right area has been redesigned (again), removing the hedge walls and making the route more visible
    -added some crates and planks by the tunnel to help players access mid
    -minor clipping changes to make parkour easier

Heres a few screenshots:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    its been a while, but here's what been changed:
    -redesigned the far right area (again) and added a new higher route
    -angled the exit from the right building at mid to direct players towards the control point
    -angled the window exit at mid and enlarged the window
    -removed the area underneath the control point and added trees on either side of the capture zone
    -removed small walls in some parts of the map to make it easier to move around without getting caught
    -improved clipping
    -lowered the height of the huts by the capture point

• Like Like x 1
  9. Messing Around

Messing Around L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    maybe it sounds like spamming, but i like it, looks pretty balance and fun

10. The_Party_

The_Party_ L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    fun fun fun very good i lik it

11. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Been a while, here's whats been changed!:
    -Detailing around mid and side areas
    -Changed spawn room layout to make side exit more useable
    -Clipping improvements
    -Custom models

Unless there are any outstanding problems with the map at this point, expect this to be the last of the alpha testing.

Screenshots:

• Like Like x 4
  12. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    Just a quick update to add the missing textures, for some reason repacking the map caused it to not recognise a few of the textures so for now the file size is a bit bigger since it isnt packed. But hey, its better than nothing

13. Necrσ

aa Necrσ

Positive Ratings:
    So as you can probably tell by the screenshots, I've had a change of mind, particularly around the overall theme of the map. As you probably know Terrace was intended to be set in a European town, however I've decided to switch the theme to a badlands desert-ish sorta theme for a few reasons. I started detailing terrace about a month back after the last version was released and detailed pretty much all of blu's side of the map. While it turned out alright I wasn't really happy with it and after a while completely ran out of ideas. I tried various things but none of them turned out great, so instead of abandoning the map altogether, i'm trying a different approach. I'm pretty happy with what I've achieved so far with the new theme, but we'll see what happens. However if anyone would be interested in picking up where I left off with the other version, it would be cool to see it finished in the original theme. Also if anyone has any name suggestions let me know since Terrace no longer really fits the theme of the map.

oh and also, the assets that I created for the previous version of Terrace will be released soon once I fix em up a bit.

Screenshots:

• Like Like x 3
  14. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    damn... that theme change changed the entire feel of the map... I do really like how the map looked previously, and I do really enjoy how it looks now... It would have been awesome to see where the old theme went, but I do, however, see GREAT things in this maps future...

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    i mean, that's what you expect from theme changes

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Kyzer

Kyzer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Add me on steam and I'll take a look at your map later. On my phone and might forget.

17. Benoist3012

Benoist3012 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Aw rip old theme :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Messing Around

Messing Around L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    oh come on man, you turn a unique good looking map into some old boring shit

19. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    It may not be a unique theme, but I am personally perfectly fine with the way he's going... there may have been some serious flaws that hindered his ability to actually make the map, that showed up with that theme... so he switched themes, and now has a lot more freedom with the map...

20. Viperi

aa Viperi 100% might be snake

Positive Ratings:
    There aren't many koth maps with the coalmines theme.