Homing prop_dynamics

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

TheKieranator

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 6, 2011
After several cancelled maps (idea/name was already taken) I have started on a unique, unprecedented map. I'll spare you the details until a1, but it's a 3 stage A/D CP map. In stage 3, I would like to include an area where players can enter but at a great risk. What I want is for a prop_dynamic to move to the nearest player when they enter the area. I can already get the prop to kill players (parenting a trigger_hurt), but need a way to get the prop to home in on a player (perhaps like how the HHH does it) and move around randomly when idle (nobody is in the area).
Any help would be appreciated.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That sounds like you'd need AI for that, and I don't think you can make custom AI for TF2 just yet. I would make it a standard 3-stage map.

Apr 13, 2009
Maybe you oculd have like a few triggers, and have the prop move towards a pre-defined position when a player gets into the trigger.
The HHH is more or less a bot, so you can't do anything like that.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hmm. Don't the rockets and bombs in that "tennis" map work like what you're describing? I don't know the full name of the map, but I'll keep my eye on the server window let you know if it comes up on the server that has it. Maybe you can track down its creator from there and ask 'em how they did it.

Sep 12, 2008
Hmm. Don't the rockets and bombs in that "tennis" map work like what you're describing? I don't know the full name of the map, but I'll keep my eye on the server window let you know if it comes up on the server that has it. Maybe you can track down its creator from there and ask 'em how they did it.

I think you're talking about "dodgeball", a (quite popular) tf2 arena mod where pyro's have to airblast the rocket to the other team in order to kill them all and win the round.