HolySnicker's Pre-Alpha Ideas - Cp_Confusion

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
I'm just going to lay down my ideas for an upcoming map before I start implementing them. I just need to make sure they won't be too bad. BLU and RED spawns are highlighted in their respective colors, and important details are in a light yellow.
-----
Cp_Confusion, a 3-stage Attack/Defend map. Loosely based on Genesis' video for "Land of Confusion"
-----
Stage 1

BLU spawns in a underground base, with a front entrance and a side, cave entrance. RED spawns in a old barn, which has evidence of heavy battle. The first capture point take place on a destroyed, blue tank. Second takes place in a shed near RED's spawn.
-----
Stage 2

BLU spawns outside the front lawn of a decimated White House, while RED spawns near the Oval Office (Exploded open by warhead. Also flooded). The ONLY CAP in this stage is in the flooded Oval Office. Will have to be rather hard to cap, as it is the only cap this stage.
-----
Stage 3 (Final)

BLU spawns on a nearby cliffside, while RED spawns in their giant control center, complete with a giant screen displaying their logo. The ONLY CAP in this stage takes place in the main hall, where the screen and stage is located. Will have sentries guarding the exit, and a moderately RED-favored layout. Has the most influence from the music video.

ExtraCheesyPie

L420: High Member
Jan 29, 2015
I don't whut

I'm already confused... does that mean it worked?

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

Jivvi

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2015
unless i'm mistaken, having pre-built buildings in your map is strongly discouraged. additionally, a single cap stage sounds like it may not work out so well since red will be turtling as hard as they can for the whole round, which may not necessarily be enjoyable for all parties. on top of that, the initial wave of attack from blu could clear out a lot of the holds/nests on and around the point meaning that a well-executed push out of the setup gates could allow the team to steamroll the stage.

Bunbun

aa
May 18, 2014
I think it's better to test it on a real map with players instead of just reading a complicated text.

MoonFox

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 17, 2015
agreeing with Cox, a lot of good ideas fail due to hardware/engine limitations. One of my older maps, I wanted dynamic weather, that would slowly kill you, if you stay outside long enough (frostbite)

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
Trigger_hurt with snow particles?
no, I didn't want to do the damage instantly, that was the thing; I wanted to a slow after a 2 minute period, that you start taking damage, keep engineers away from buildings; cause effective nests were outside on the ramparts, that were snowing

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
no, I didn't want to do the damage instantly, that was the thing; I wanted to a slow after a 2 minute period, that you start taking damage, keep engineers away from buildings; cause effective nests were outside on the ramparts, that were snowing
With clever use of the AddOutput command, it is technically possible to do that. Changing the targetname of a player entity can allow triggers such as trigger_hurt to filter for individual players. You could give players a new name when they first walk outside, and periodically change it step-by-step after routine intervals, and calibrate it such that they reach the name that the trigger_hurt filters for after two minutes.

So actually, yes, one could have an area that starts to hurt players after they spend a specified amount of time in it, or that gradually ramps up the damage.

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
With clever use of the AddOutput command, it is technically possible to do that. Changing the targetname of a player entity can allow triggers such as trigger_hurt to filter for individual players. You could give players a new name when they first walk outside, and periodically change it step-by-step after routine intervals, and calibrate it such that they reach the name that the trigger_hurt filters for after two minutes.

So actually, yes, one could have an area that starts to hurt players after they spend a specified amount of time in it, or that gradually ramps up the damage.
huh... well; I also wanted breath display (its north Dakota during the winter, its basically fargo frozen)

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
huh... well; I also wanted breath display (its north Dakota during the winter, its basically fargo frozen)
That bit's a bit more difficult, but actually also still possible.

You could have a particle system for frozen breath, put it in a point_template, have an env_entity_maker spawn it at the entity origin of the player that just activated your trigger, parent it to the player, and set it's attachment point to be the head bone. Then simply kill the particle system when it leaves the trigger zone.

MoonFox

Mar 17, 2015
That bit's a bit more difficult, but actually also still possible.

You could have a particle system for frozen breath, put it in a point_template, have an env_entity_maker spawn it at the entity origin of the player that just activated your trigger, parent it to the player, and set it's attachment point to be the head bone. Then simply kill the particle system when it leaves the trigger zone.
let me make a separate post