HL2 Models and Textures

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by cruizer, Mar 18, 2008.

1. cruizer

cruizer L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    It has been brought to my attention, that pretty much everything I am using in my map is HL2 models and textures. So far, the ONLY TF2 items I have are, the resupply cabinets and the fence.

I have also been informed that people who do not have HL2 will not be able to see these models and textures.

So I assume then that the models and textures are not packed in the map, but are referenced to via install locations on the users HD.

If that's the case, how is it possible that people can make and use custom models? I've never downloaded one seperatly, that I know of.

I am also inclined to disagree with the above notions, as the textures nodraw, player clip, trigger, hints, etc are all HL2 textures, and they seem to work fine and not create errored sections on somones game who does not have HL2.

But I don't know, I have both.

2. poopster101

poopster101 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    custom textures are embedded into the bsp via pakrat
    and the nodraw, ect are tools from hammer that are part of the game tf2 and hl2
    i would suggest not using the hl2 textures b/c they just don't fit the cartoon art style of tf2
    but its your map so its your call
    and if you must use hl2 textures
    embed them wiht a program called pakrat

3. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    HL2 textures should be included when players buy & download TF2 as part of the base Source engine pack. However they are hideous when presented alongside TF2 player models. Painfully out of place.

4. Pseudo

Pseudo L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    When TF2 is installed, the HL2 textures and models are also installed. You can use them in your maps without errors or needing to embed them. However, they usually do not fit stylistically and are generally frowned upon.

5. Scotland Tom

Scotland Tom L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    When in the texture browser locate the "keywords" field and type in "tf" in order to view only the TF2 textures. This will also filter out the dev textures (like nodraw), but you can easily find those again. Also, when in the model viewer, look for models listed under "tf" to stay away from using HL2 models.

6. cruizer

Positive Ratings:
    So basically, I am safe using HL2 models and textures?

Awesome!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  7. phatal

phatal L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Safe but the majority, myself included, think hl2 textures in tf2 are HIDEOUS. I always leave a server with these ugly textures

Now not to say you can't use them in creative ways just like valve does. The most notable is a lot of their steps and sides of metal walkays are done with metal/metalstair001a which indeed is not a tf2 texture.

8. Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Okay so does anyone know exactly which GCF files, and therefore which models/textures are guaranteed to be included with TF2? I know that I've come across certain rooftop and skybox models which would look fine in a TF2 map, but I really don't want to include anything that isn't a part of TF2 or the so called "base" set common to all games. Some definitive answer would be helpful to this thread I think.

9. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Please PLEASE use the search tool!

10. cruizer

Positive Ratings:
    FYI, I did use the search tool. I search any question I have because I hate always hearing "Use the search tool!" and it's jsut good commom practice.

I never came up with anything while searching. Therefore I asked.