hl2.exe has stopped working

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by Galago, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Galago

Galago L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm running Vista Business 32 bit, and TF2 runs fine, all the time. When I quit, I get the message "hl2.exe has stopped working..." for no apparent reason. It doesn't affect me, but it's really annoying :p Fixes anyone?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. craftyknave

craftyknave L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'd been wondering if this was just me. Also running Vista 32, get the same problem, and get it with Hammer, too.

I find I get it only about 50/50 on TF2 if I wait about 30 seconds between disconnect from server and quitting the application. I've bugged it to both Valve and Microsoft, as I'm not sure which is causing the error. I'd be interested if anyone knows any fixes.

3. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    I get the same error with Vista 32 bits

4. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
  5. Galago

Positive Ratings:
    It's really annoying, right?

6. DaBeatzProject

aa DaBeatzProject

Positive Ratings:
    I've got the same problem, running with vista.. but what's so annoying about it? If you stop TF2, you aren't going to play it anymore. And when I start again everything works fine.. so I don't really think there is a problem, I've got errors all the time :p

7. Galago

Positive Ratings:
    Well, it's just a nagging annoyance... I hate having to click "cancel" every time it attempts to fix the problem... which there was none in the first place -___-

8. Shaar

Shaar L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin

Positive Ratings:
    I think the problem is, that your actually quitting the game, your never supposed to quit the game :O

But yeah. I have the same problem too. or at least I did have. don't seem to have it as much since I've gotten left 4 dead... but I don't play it as much now so that may be why.

9. tobiath

tobiath L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Have the same with Vista 64-bit home premium. Its just that the OS has detected the .exe stopping without the inputs that "normal" programs give. This error message happens in some games just because I/Os from program to OS are not happening for some reason. There is no real problem with this, and it will not harm anything.

10. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You guys exit a server to the menu before quitting?

Just open your console and type "quit" then it closes the game straight away.

But be warned as it doesn't save any additions to your favourite list within that session.

11. HojoTheGreat

HojoTheGreat L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've heard a lot about this occurring in various Source games, had the 'problem' myself on occasion. I really don't think it's a problem, just an annoying bug. Everyone I've spoken to says the Error simply goes away (and sometimes comes back) at random.

I would also make sure your video drivers are all updated. If you're really curious, try rolling back your drivers and see if it still causes the error on close.