hint face

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
I had thought that it didn't matter which face the hint texture was on but I was reading another tutorial today and from what I read it appeared as if it DOES make a difference. Can anyone clarify if it matters which face hint is used? Also could it be helpful to put hint on both faces instead of just 1 face?

This was the example given with that tutorial. Tutorial said put on bottom. Would it matter if it was put on top instead? Either case maybe you could clear this up for me. I have not seen any tutorials that stated if any side would be better or worse.

Green is hint brush in my beautiful masterpiece. :D

Paria

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
i cant see how it would make any difference provided you place the side with the hint face in the same position, when its compiled all the sides with skip are ignored so youd just be left with that line from the hint .

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
This will make a difference. The brush has a non-zero thickness, thus if the hint is placed on the top, there will still be a small amount of space between the hint and the wall. Place it on the bottom.

Using a hint on the top and bottom will not provide additional benefit. Instead it will result in (at least) one extra "sliver" of a visleaf that will increase VIS computation time.

phatal

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 8, 2008
Hmm.. maybe that's why the author suggested the hint be placed on the bottom to butt against the structure helping to block vis. It was unclear so I just wanted to see.

I'm trying to understand why when I add hints or areaportals that I don't see a fps increase. Sometimes I get a decrease. :(