Hide and Seek starring func_respawnroomvisualizer!

Star Bright

L2: Junior Member
Jan 4, 2016
So I'm having a small weird issue with my map:

20160425165258_1.jpg

See, from a distance, the respawnroom visualizer works as intended, but if I get closer / look at it from a different angle...
20160425165300_1.jpg
It randomly disappears. But I know it's still there, because...

20160425165319_1.jpg
When a RED opens the door, suddenly it's there again!

What's going on here? I've tried moving the door back a few pixels though it causes the exact same problem...

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
There are 2 no_entry textures, "no_entry" and _no_entry_nocull". Make sure you are using "no_entry", I'm not sure if the other one will cause the problem you are having, but all maps use "no_entry", so check to see if its that.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
You didn't by chance place it at exactly the same plane as the front of the door, did you? Usually z-fighting looks like... well, z-fighting... but on a material with weird effects on it, I suppose anything's possible. Plus, I've seen the no entry sign do weird things with that door model before, particularly through the window.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Depth accuracy decreases with increased distance, It's possible that up close the depth difference is sufficient but further away it's insufficient. Personally I like to keep the respawn vis well behind the door so that you don't have an ugly no entry sign farting up your pretty map while a door is closed.

The other suggestion I have is that it's an alpha sorting issue and that door model simply won't play ball with respawn visualisers for the fact the windows are an alpha texture. Alpha textures can cause lots of z-sorting issues, so you might be SOL. If moving the visualiser 8-16 units back doesn't fix things, try using the non-windowed shutter door and see if that helps.

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Depth accuracy decreases with increased distance, It's possible that up close the depth difference is sufficient but further away it's insufficient. Personally I like to keep the respawn vis well behind the door so that you don't have an ugly no entry sign farting up your pretty map while a door is closed.

The other suggestion I have is that it's an alpha sorting issue and that door model simply won't play ball with respawn visualisers for the fact the windows are an alpha texture. Alpha textures can cause lots of z-sorting issues, so you might be SOL. If moving the visualiser 8-16 units back doesn't fix things, try using the non-windowed shutter door and see if that helps.
Totally off-topic, but I like the word choices in this post.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I think Steve (Pocket) and YM have probably identified the cause, there.

If you would like to have your no entry symbol behind your door, so it's only visible when the door is open, the best way to do it is to use the no_entry_nocull texture that NickTF doesn't like. 'Nocull' textures are visible from both sides of the face they are applied to. Great for fences and glass. You paint this texture on the backside face of your respawnroomvisualizer brush, the one that points inwards to the spawn room. The brush covers the whole of the door, so it keeps enemies out all right, while letting you adjust the depth of the no entry texture easily.

See here in this screenshot. You can see the no entry texture here because it's a special texture I made for alignment.
tw5MHcJ.png

Star Bright

L2: Junior Member
Jan 4, 2016
I moved the door back about 8 HU so it was still easily within the frame but behind the visualizer and now it's working fine.
Which is odd, because I did that earlier and it still wouldn't behave.
Just Hammer things, right?