Hi there! But wait theres more!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Explodeyman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Explodeyman

Explodeyman L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi there! i've been at map making since the engineer update, back when i was playing on my brother's account, but i've urged myself to FINALLY GET AN ACCOUNT.
    So hi! and yeah.
    Quick question, i made my first arena map, but the problem is, that i have no idea how to test it, pretty nooby question... :/
    P.S I plan to get an avatar, it just says its an invalid image. and im too lazy to change it

2. RagnarHomsar

RagnarHomsar L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    There are two main ways to get your map tested here: either sign it up for a Gameday (US Gamedays are on Wednesdays, EU Gamedays are on Fridays, and Sunday Gamedays vary which server we use), or go on the Steam Chat and either suggest or wait for an impromptu. If you're the one getting an impromptu set up, get other maps besides yours into testing and message one of the people with a star to the left of their Steam name so they can post an event to notify everyone in the TF2M Steam group. Don't forget to make a thread for its development in the "Maps" forum (under "Showcase").

Oh, and welcome to TF2Maps.

3. Explodeyman

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, well i didnt WANT to test my map like that, i just wanted to see it in game and stuff like that. :D

4. RagnarHomsar

Positive Ratings:
    I assume you mean compile and then play it from Hammer. When the VMF is open in Hammer, make sure the level is completely sealed in, preferably by a tools/skybox textured hollow brush, and then hit F9, and make sure "Don't run game after compile" is unchecked. Hammer will take a bit to compile, and then Steam will start to load TF2, and the game will auto-load a listen server running your map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Explodeyman

Positive Ratings:
    Ah there we go, thanks that worked, and now i found some problems
    EDIT: i got it working sooo
    Here they are, but maybe i should place this somewhere else.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Otherwise my map is working perfectly.
    2nd EDIT: my images arent showing up in the post :/

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  6. RagnarHomsar

Positive Ratings:
    The gigantic sign in the first image is likely due to weird sky_camera placement. The 2nd one, you sure the fence is placed there in the VMF?

7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Like Ragnar said, you can post a map up on the mapping showcase, just make sure take screenshots so we can see what we are downloading :p (and post the .bsp, but don't use a filesharing site, use dropbox).

Anywho, Welcome to the forums!

8. Explodeyman

Positive Ratings:
    Ooh, that was what that sky camera thing was... >.< (3D skyboxes right?)
    Okay so i dont actually need that then. Yeah the fence is there in the VMF...
    Its in hammer, pretty sure its there, a long with the car/truck prop. (which i noted in the 2nd one off in the corner)
    I still have no idea how to get a bsp.
    But thanks!

9. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, my bad.

When you compile the map and run it, after you log out, go to where you saved the map. You will a TON of files. one of them will end with .bsp. That is the file that you share with people.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Explodeyman

Positive Ratings:
    That solved it, thanks... :D
    Now i have a kind of working map, exept for those missing things...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011