Hey, need some help.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by TheLoafLord, Aug 31, 2017.

?

Where do I start?

1. Point to Spawnrooms

60.0%
  2. Spawnrooms to Point

30.0%
  3. Other (Post.)

10.0%
  1. TheLoafLord

TheLoafLord L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, I started getting into mapping about 3 months ago? Maybe 5? Anyways, I've got 1 map I've worked on myself. A CTF map, called Biohazard. I lost my grip on the map, and the reason why was foolish. I lost Biohazard because, how I made it, right, was by texturing and detailing FIRST. Which, trust me, was a big mistake. Might come back to it later. But why I'm here, is to ask for help. I want to start a KOTH map called Storm. A wooden/industrial themed map based in a crevice in the ground. The thing is, I don't know where to start and need help. I don't know if I go from the point then sideways, or work from spawnrooms to point, copy and paste spawnroom to edge of point, rotate. I'm not gonna make the same mistake I did last time, I'm gonna Dev texture it up. But I just need some help. I might need some help with a layout, too.

2. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
  3. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Go with what you feel is the key to the map.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Da Spud Lord

aa Da Spud Lord L0: Crappy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Everyone has their own mapping style, you should figure out what works for you. For KOTH maps, I usually start with the central control point and build to the spawn because when I start, I usually have a better idea of how I want the point to look than I do with the spawns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Arceus

Arceus The equine creator everyone takes for granted.

Positive Ratings:
    Crash's tutorial on Theory may help:
    Found here

Personally, I work like the artist and architect I am:
    "Sketch" out the rough details and boundaries, then form rooms or areas, and joining geometry.

Of course, detailing and textures come last. Lighting and logic might come before that.
    Sometimes, if I am stuck or run into a creator's block, I use pictures from the web to help me visualize what I am trying to accomplish.
    An example of this is my latest map, Terminal, based mostly on Grand Central Station in New York City, USA.

Like the others above, go with your gut.
    As Jung said, The shoe that fits one person pinches another; there is no recipe for living that suits all cases.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Tags: