Hey lighting nerds, what can I do to fix this?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Crash, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    So I'm pretty ill informed on the advanced lighting front. Always been one of my mapping weaknesses. Any know what I can do about this rogue shadow? Or how I can line up the shadows better in general?

[​IMG]

It has a lightmap of 1024 set on the whole sphinx, it's divided into three pieces, the head, the body, and the arms out front.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
  3. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Oh, I suppose I should mention that I am using all those options as well on my final compile.

4. ics

aa ics http://ics-base.net

Positive Ratings:
    You could try info_lighting as lighting source to improve how it will be casted.

5. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Looks to me like it might be something to do with shared UV space on the texture?

EDIT: closer inspection leads me to believe this might be the case, you're gonna have to get the UVs to be exact to the shape of everything or else there's gonna be light bleeding issues and weird shadows.

6. Bakscratch

aa Bakscratch Finisher of Maps

Positive Ratings:
    Have you tried compiling the model with all the same setting on its own in a new map?

7. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Talking with Crash via steam about this and:

It's because the lightmap UVs use the texture UVs so they overlap -> shadows

So we started investigating why it does this > http://i.imgur.com/Kjlljhb.jpg < when it's just vertex lighting alone.

Obviously the paws don't have enough verts to support nice lighting, but the head section isn't using vertex lighting at all.

The vmt is:
    Code:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
    "$baseTexture" "hats\sphinxhead"
    "$model" 1
    "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"
    "$phong" "1"
    "$phongexponent" "20"
    "$phongboost" ".4"
    $envmap env_cubemap
    $envmaptint "[.4 .4 .4]"
    }
    So we know it's not a normal map preventing vertex lighting, my suspicious is that it's the phong.

Does anyone else have experience with using phong and vertex lighting combined?

8. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    My understanding is that you can't, because they're not compatible; having phong or any kind of bump mapping in the material disables vertex lighting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    Wait, are you using UV stuff for models as opposed to vertex lighting? My understanding is that areas with shared UV space, also share shadows.