1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Hey guys! I'm hyperhopper

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by hyperhopper, Oct 18, 2009.

1. hyperhopper

hyperhopper L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys.

I like tf2, usually play Soldier, pyro, Engie, Sniper, and Spy. I have always tried to play PUGS and on more competitive servers, because although not obsessed with it, I get frustrated by the stupidity of many PUGS (walking 1 by one into enemy, no waiting for ubers, i could go on)

SO while looking for good servers, i found many odd maps, and while looking for new ones, always had ideas for maps and wanted to make/play on new ones. That lead me to the tf2maps.net server, and I played on 2 gamedays and had a blast.

Now im here, to talk with other tf2 players, get some good maps, and maybe, just maybe, make a great map or two!

2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Sweet man. :D Welcome to TF2Maps.net! /me points at sig

3. Sgt.Sausage

Sgt.Sausage L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    aww i was expecting something a little more grand than that. Oh well.

But welcome and enjoy your stay.

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    at least forums don't have a voice chat button.

>.>

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. hyperhopper

Positive Ratings:
    I have one vision of a map that I would really like to make, but probably would be complicated and not my first.

An attack defend map, but instead of red protecting points, it protects intel. all blu has to do is cap the intel once. But its not so easy, because the fort is made to protect the intel, so blu has the option of flat out going for the intel, or capping optional points to give blu advantages (think Gravelpit meets steel, but with an intel instead of point E)

is this possible?

P.S. i dont know the first thing about maps, so i would appreciate it if i could be pointed ot a beginner tut to try to make a simple map first, then make this as my life's work

6. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    Oh its very possible, especially so now that valve brought in the hyrbid CTF/CP hud.

It sounds like an interesting gametype, and with a good layout it could be great fun!

Also, welcome!

7. Dr. ROCKZO

Dr. ROCKZO L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Most people here fondly remember and reminisce about being in your situation, We then all praise TPG's signature. It really works!

8. hyperhopper

Positive Ratings:
    so whats the first step to making a map?

9. strangemodule

strangemodule L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Grab a piece of blank paper and sketch out the layout. This helps you figure out ahead of time what may or may not work, as well as make the mapping process a lot smoother and easier on you.

For general Hammer usage, check out the "Getting Started" section on this page: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:Level_Design

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. hyperhopper

Positive Ratings:
    WOW! Its harder than i thought just to come up with the way to do it, i know i want capping points to give help + time to blu, but no clue how much advantages it should give or what type.
    wow this is hard

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  11. Bockagon

Bockagon L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, I like that game mode idea.
    And yeah, it can be really hard. Don't let it discourage you though. It takes a lot of time to get used to things (it took me an entire summer vacation). Just be patient with it.

Welcome!

12. Wegason

Wegason L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Seconded.

Welcome Hyper,

Remember, search button and looking in the correct forums is your friend.