Here we go!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by WarmHandSanitizer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. WarmHandSanitizer

WarmHandSanitizer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, mapping community!
    Long story short, I love architectural design, I love TF2, and when I told the Steam Forums this, they directed me towards you guys.

In fact I'd love it if you read my original ramblings HERE. Hopefully then you'll understand how clueless I am towards this whole business :p

Anyways, I'm currently designing my map (pencil-on-paper phase), and I'd like to know what advice (read: every single little piece of advice) you guys have on map design. Not any of the Hammer Editor technical stuff, but the physical "this should go here or else the entire team will play sniper" kind of stuff.

Thanks!

2. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
    The best place to ask for help would probably be the steam chat for the Team Fortress 2 Mappers group.

Other than that, welcome!

3. Ptimz

Ptimz L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    2000 units is the longest sightline on any official map, and this distance is really pushing the boundaries of how far a player should be able to see.
    Always have more than one route into any important area. Generally there is a main huge entrance and one or two smaller ones. They should not all be defensible from the same spot.
    Having height variation is extremely important; not just having different areas be on different floors, but having two players who can shoot at each other while moving at different heights, or while changing heights on ramps or whatnot makes for more interesting and fun gameplay.
    Props existing as the main features of a map does not work well. (propspam= big nono.)
    Do not use the commands "carve" or "make hollow". These cause more problems than the small amount of work they solve.
    All of this is useful: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation
    Good luck, have fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Welcome!

With the determination you show, i can guarantee you that you'll be making maps in no time :)
    Just a little word of advice: Start out slowly. Save your best ideas for later. In the beginning you should just get to know the program, and experiment with it to expand your skill set.

5. Tom Hoen

Tom Hoen L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Remember that you don't have to reason everything you do for this game unlike in real life and architechture. Some structures can be a bit weird and defy physics. Have fun and don't fall in love with your first map as it's most likely to suck. Everyones first map sucks but thats where everyone starts.

I don't want to scare you but to encourage you. Welcome and have fun learning!

6. WarmHandSanitizer

WarmHandSanitizer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, then what should I make first? I wanted to start mapping because I had this AMAZING CP concept that i wanted to make real.

7. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Write it down so you don't forget it, and then do some experimentation! :D

My first map ever, for example, was a room with a heavy swimming around in the air.

8. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    My first map was incredibly stupid.
    I built a brush, went inside the brush, and started making brushes inside the brush to make a room.