Help!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by RetroNuva10, Jan 27, 2015.

1. RetroNuva10

RetroNuva10 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Okay. So, whenever I run my map, the log comes up -- And the map doesn't run. Then, Hammer doesn't respond. Therefor -- I can't playtest my map. (cp_liftoff)

I don't know if this is only for that map -- Or if it's Hammer itself. I just don't know what I've done wrong. How do I find leaks?

2. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Try launching TF2 and starting the map from there.

Also, to find leaks: click go to Maps > Load Pointfile. If there's a leak, it'll show you where it is.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
  4. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks

I did bring the log into that website several times.

I've also tried launching the map by running TF2 -- The map doesn't update the changes I've made when I do so. I'l try clicking Pointfile. Thanks!

5. RetroNuva10

Positive Ratings:
    When I click Load Pointfile, the folder is in a different folder on my Desktop. Where is the Pointfile folder usually located so I can find it?

6. killohurtz

aa killohurtz Distinction in Applied Carving

Positive Ratings:
    The pointfile (.lin) should be created in the same directory as your .vmf once you run vbsp and it finds a leak. Also, while you're patching up leaks, make sure to run vbsp only and check the "don't run the game after compiling" box - that's all you need to generate pointfiles, and it'll save you a lot of time.

On your original issue: try using the check the problems dialog (Alt+P), and see if it finds anything.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. VintageEpicFail

VintageEpicFail L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Could be a stupid question, but do you have "Don't run the game after compiling" checked?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Or use advanced compile mode and set the build process to halt if the prt file wasn't generated. Sure, it won't catch areaportal leaks this way, but those are comparatively rare.

9. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    That's why you have a -leaktest option for vbsp to automaticly cancel the compile as soon your map leaks