Help with custom particles

ades

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 27, 2014
I'm trying to get these amazing Aurora particles by Exactol to work on my map
http://tf2maps.net/downloads/aurora-particles.992/

but whenever I compile I keep getting error messages saying it cannot load the particles

I followed the valve guide (twice) on how to make the custom particles work and consulted the map chat about it and still I keep getting the error.

so hopefully I can get some help with my issue and get it working

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
If you want to use custom particles in a custom map, you need a particle manifest to declare them.

You'll want to follow the second option detailed on that page, and create a /maps/<map name>_particles.txt file.
And in that file, following the formatting on the particle manifest page, you'd want to declare the aurora_borealis.pcf file.

So, for instance, if your map was named cp_example.bsp, you'd want to create a text file right next to that in the maps folder called cp_example_particles.txt, and the contents should look like this:
Code:
particles_manifest
{
    file    "!particles/aurora_borealis.pcf"
}

ades

Jun 27, 2014
If you want to use custom particles in a custom map, you need a particle manifest to declare them.

You'll want to follow the second option detailed on that page, and create a /maps/<map name>_particles.txt file.
And in that file, following the formatting on the particle manifest page, you'd want to declare the aurora_borealis.pcf file.

So, for instance, if your map was named cp_example.bsp, you'd want to create a text file right next to that in the maps folder called cp_example_particles.txt, and the contents should look like this:
Code:
particles_manifest
{
    file    "!particles/aurora_borealis.pcf"
}
thanks for the help but I tried doing this again and it still shows up as an error....

wiseguy149

Emperor of Entities and Amateur of Aesthetics
May 12, 2009
Can you post the specific error you're encountering?

ades

Jun 27, 2014
its something like "failed to load particle (particlename)"

Izotope

Sourcerer
aa
May 13, 2013
I always get particle errors in the console, but they still work.
Did you check if they are actually visible?

ades

Jun 27, 2014
I always get particle errors in the console, but they still work.
Did you check if they are actually visible?
I set the particle entity to enable automatically and everything seems like its properly done and set but yet the particles fail to show for me

nickybakes

You should've played Rumbleverse
aa
Jul 28, 2015
:p idk if i should make a new post,
So i'll post my issue here and see if this can get going again.

I made a test particle, and used the japan packs particle to further test. this is what the game says.

Attempting to create unknown particle system 'sakura_512'
Attempting to create unknown particle system 'w'

Maps name: ptestg.bsp ,is in maps folder.
Manifest.txt is named: ptestg_manifest.txt, is also in maps folder.

In the manifest file:

particles_manifest
{
"file""!particles/tstpigpig.pcf"
"file""!particles/env_sakura01.pcf"
}

Particles.
1.png

*xdxd look he named it pigpig, what a self centered tard.

In the particle editor:
2.png

In hammer:
3.png

I hope that's enough.
This has been pissing me off for the last

EVER

xd like anyone will reply.
Try packing the particles into your map. Though I would expect it to work if it is in your tf game files even without packing it. You said your manifest is in your maps folder, but I also see it in the screenshot of the particles folder. I don't think you need it there. I believe you HAVE to pack the manifest into the bsp for particles to work. I may be wrong, but it's worth a shot.