Help with adding custom particles and adding custom hud icons

F4NGS

L2: Junior Member
Sep 26, 2015
I'm looking to add custom particles and adding custom hud icons to my map. It looks to be 2 separate processes. I havn't been able to find a good guide for both. I need a step by step guide cause I don't know what I'm doing. welp

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
If you're using already-created particles, you'll need to put the .pcf file in your /tf/particles folder. To put the particles in your map, use info_particle_system. You do NOT put the name of the .pcf in the particle system entity. Each .pcf contains one or more particle sysems; you'll want to put the name of one of those systems in the particle system entity. The .pcf download page should list the systems in the .pcf, or you can view the list of particle systems in the .pcf by loading TF2's Particle Editor. Put the name of one of those particle systems in the info_particle_system's "Particle System Name" keyvalue. The last step is to create a particle manifest for your map, referencing the .pcf file to let TF2 know where it should look for that custom particle system.

If you're talking about actually creating your own particle system... Good luck...

As per your HUD icon question, I can't answer that, and I'm not even sure if it's possible to create free-floating HUD icons without a mod. Unless you mean control point icons, which is totally possible within the CP settings. It is also possible to put plain text on the screen.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

F4NGS

L2: Junior Member
Sep 26, 2015
If you're using already-created particles, you'll need to put the .pcf file in your /tf/particles folder. To put the particles in your map, use info_particle_system. You do NOT put the name of the .pcf in the particle system entity. Each .pcf contains one or more particle sysems; you'll want to put the name of one of those systems in the particle system entity. The .pcf download page should list the systems in the .pcf, or you can view the list of particle systems in the .pcf by loading TF2's Particle Editor. Put the name of one of those particle systems in the info_particle_system's "Particle System Name" keyvalue. The last step is to create a particle manifest for your map, referencing the .pcf file to let TF2 know where it should look for that custom particle system.

If you're talking about actually creating your own particle system... Good luck...

As per your HUD icon question, I can't answer that, and I'm not even sure if it's possible to create free-floating HUD icons without a mod. Unless you mean control point icons, which is totally possible within the CP settings. It is also possible to put plain text on the screen.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Thank you! It is a already created particle (wormhole particle).
I was able to get the custom particle to work after following your steps and just trying again. I believe I messed up the particle manifest last time. This forum post explains how to do it pretty well.

The custom hud icon I'm trying to add to a pd map. I'm using logic_relays that when one in particular triggers tells the tf_logic_player_destruction to switch the SetCountdownImage to a vtf image from tf2_textures_dir.vpk. I have alternating CPs and hud icons for when CP A is open, CP B is open, and when both are closed. I have custom hud icons that I made that I want to use that shows the letter of the next CP that will unlock withe image of both CPs are closed. I'm not sure how to add that custom images and made them work as hud icons.

Last edited:

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
If you want to automate creating a manifest, Compile Pal can do it for you as part of the compile process. Just add the Utility step to your preset, and add the Generate Particle Manifest parameter. If you already have a particle manifest, you can also use the Update Particle Manifest parameter to automatically update the manifest filename when you compile.