Help with a new server

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Heyy all,

Welp, here is the situation, and friend and I have bought our own TF2 server we have the mani-admin plugin setup but it doesn't seem ot be following our mapcycle.txt file and it's not reading the custom maps we put into our maplist.txt, so what I was wondering is, if anyone knew how or has gotten it to do so.

Also, I caught word that you can have map specific .cfg files. I really couldn't find anything useful as of how to get this done on google as I searched for a good half hour. But basically what I heard is that you can set each maps time limit individually or their max round wins and so on. I thought this would be very nice to have seeing as we are running multiple styles of maps, PL; CP and ARENA. All possible answers and solutions are greatly appreciated as this is our first time attempting to setup one of these servers. All the basics work, just having trouble with some of this nit-picky stuff. =)​

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
first off...i highly recommend sourcemod over mani admin
mainly for the vast number of plugins

from what I very vaguely recall from mani it should just read the maplist and mapcycle.
if all else fails give these lines a try in the server.cfg:
mapcyclefile "mapcycle.txt" (pulled from an archived arena config)
maplistfile "maplist.txt" (made up based on the other one)

with sourcemod being the admin package map specific cfgs are just:
mapname.cfg
eg ctf_haarp_b2.cfg
put those files in the cfg folder

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Hmmm, okay okay, sounds good, we just uninstalled Mani-Admin and Are attempting to instal Source-Mod, but our server won't allow up to upload .exe's to it, and there are 2 .exe files in the source-mod plugin pack. Does it matter if we have them or not, and... sry if we sound noob, but we are new to this. Is there a good tutorial on how to set it up correctly? Cause my friend said he followed one to the (t) but wasn't sure if everything was correct. He installed Metamod:Source 1.8 which I guess you have to have and then installed SourceMod 1.3. Let me know, and thanks, you've been a great help so far =)

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
uhh...there should be two versions of sourcemod available, one for linux and one for windows, make sure you are using the right one...but even then i don't recall either have exe's...

ill check quickly to see if i have a tutorial bookmarked

EDIT: I always used this one http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Installing_SourceMod

And here is the metamod guide:
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Installing_Metamod:Source

I would recommend you check this first to see if its installed
Type "meta version" in your server console (or RCON). You should see a line like: "Loaded As: Valve Server Plugin." If the command is not recognized, see the Troubleshooting section below.

You also will probably need to generate your metamod vdf http://www.metamodsource.net/vdf

If that gives you the correct output then metamod is working and move on to the sourcemod install.
If your running a linux server you may need to get an unzipping program, like 7-zip or winrar to open it. Then all you should really need to do is drag the addons and cfg folders into the tf folder on your server, that should be all you need to do to install it.

Last edited:

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
okay, we got metamod and sourcemod to both start with the server and are running, but one last thing. It says this:
Lastly, assuming you have already setup your administration user, you can test the in game menu by joining the server, and in the client console type the following:

sm_admin

You should see a menu popup with all you options.

But it never said anything before that as to how to set yourself up as admin. When I type that in it says I do not have administrative rights. This should be the last thing that we need to get this thing up and going! =)

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Adding_Admins_(SourceMod)

I highly recommend the detailed admins over simple

here is an example of admins.cfg
Code:
/**
 * USE THIS SECTION TO DECLARE DETAILED ADMIN PROPERTIES.
 * Each admin should have its own "Admin" section, followed by a name.
 * The name does not have to be unique.
 * Available properties: (Anything else is filtered as custom)
 *      "auth"          - REQUIRED - Auth method to use.  Built-in methods are:
 *                        "steam"  - Steam based authentication
 *                        "name"   - Name based authentication
 *                        "ip"	- IP based authentication
 *                        Anything else is treated as custom.
 *					 Note: Only one auth method is allowed per entry.
 *      "identity"      - REQUIRED - Identification string, for example, a steamid or name.
 *					 Note: Only one identity is allowed per entry.
 *      "password"      - Optional password to require.
 *      "group"         - Adds one group to the user's group table.
 *      "flags"         - Adds one or more flags to the user's permissions.
 *		"immunity"		- Sets the user's immunity level (0 = no immunity).
 *						  Immunity can be any value.  Admins with higher 
 *						  values cannot be targetted.  See sm_immunity_mode 
 *						  to tweak the rules.  Default value is 0.
 * Example:
	"Name"
	{
		"auth"			"steam"
		"identity"		"STEAM_0:1:16"
		"flags"			"abcdef"
	}
 */
Admins
{
	"MrAlBobo"
	{
		"auth"			"steam"
		"identity"		"STEAM_0:0:16550084"
		"immunity"		"100"
		"flags"			"z"
	}

"Bleh"
	{
		"auth"			"steam"
		"identity"		"STEAM_0:1:16599081"
		"group"			"Mods"
	}
}

and heres a copy of a admin_groups.cfg, which is used to quickly designate flags to people
Code:
Groups
{
	/**
	 * Allowed properties for a group:
	 *   "flags"           - Flag string.
	 *   "immunity"        - Immunity level number, or a group name.
	 *						 If the group name is a number, prepend it with an 
	 *						 '@' symbol similar to admins_simple.ini.  Users 
	 *						 will only inherit the level number if it's higher 
	 *						 than their current value.
	 */
	"Default"
	{
		"immunity"		"1"
	}

"Full Admins"
	{
		/**
		 * You can override commands and command groups here.
		 * Specify a command name or group and either "allow" or "deny"
		 * Examples:
		 * 		":CSDM"			"allow"
		 *		"csdm_enable"	"deny"
		 */
		 Overrides
		 {
		 }
		"flags"			"abcdefghiz"

/* Largish number for lots of in-between values. */
		"immunity"		"99"
	}
	"Mods"
	{
		"flags"			"abcfghjk"
		"immunity"		"10"
	}
}

Last edited:

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Sweeeeet, all is up and running smoothly. Yet.. sadly we have had to have pure set to 0 cause whenever we set ti to 1 it doesn't play our custom sound. We added this entry to the whitelist.txt but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

"add" "sound/consnd/joinserver.mp3" // Plays server start-up tune

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
eh...please don't add custom sounds to your server, they add almost nothing to the game and cause a crapload of people to leave instantly, myself included...

one thing you might be able to do is use the motd cleverly...as you can link to a website in it, that website could play a sound and no one would be aware they just downloaded a sound file <_<

though...personally, id say to just drop the sound idea

SmileyBluE

L1: Registered
Jan 28, 2010
yea honestly dont add custom sounds cuz itll slow ur server down while you play. and also congratz on getting your server! i recently got my dedi also

RavenStryker

aa
Nov 25, 2008
Well it's not a "bunch" of custom sounds, just the beginning... 7 seconds or so of the national anthem when you first join the server. It's done playing by the time you select your character and it's quiet enough to where you can easily hear the sounds of the door as you select your team. We don't like loud obnoxious noises either. Which is why we took some careful planning in how loud and how long this was. IMO I think it sounds very nice and adds that originality to our server that when people join, they know whos it is. =)

Also, the motd is just a link to the html to an image file, is what you saying to do is in the motd.html have not only a link to the image that they see but also a link to a music source that'll dowload off of the web server once it pops up?

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
what the sound is is entirely irrelevant, basically, if i see something being downloading in tf2 that is not either a bsp or a bz2 I instantly leave

as for the motd thing...its basically a theory I have, what you can do in a website is embed a music file, give it non visual representation, and set it to play automatically
and i think what you can do in the motd is actually have that website appear, which would load that content and play the embedded soundfile
honestly...i don't give too high odds of that working <_<