Help Us Pay it Forward

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by tf2.com, Jun 27, 2013.

1. tf2.com

tf2.com L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Since the Steam Workshop launched in October of 2011, over 1,200 items created by the TF2 and now the DOTA community have been made available for sale. That's added up to a whopping $10 million in royalties paid to item creators.

The thing is, nobody creates a TF2 item in a vacuum. Chances are if you've made something for the Workshop, you've probably gotten some amount of help and feedback from various toolmakers, communities and mentors. A lot of these resources have proven to be immensely valuable to item creators. We'd like to give you a chance to show them just how valuable.

What if we were to tell you that you can now compensate the service providers that've helped you by giving them a percentage of the sales from your in-game item? And then what if we were to notice you walking quickly away from us after we said that? So what if we ran after you and told you hold on, you didn't hear the important part: You'll get to compensate those service providers without any actual money coming out of your own pocket. That's right: The contribution will be made from a set percentage that is redirected from Valve to the service provider, not taken from your royalty.

Starting today, item creators like yourself can leaf through a wide variety of communities, toolmakers and individuals, and decide who most deserves a percentage of your item sales (again, not your percentage). Those who'll benefit are completely up to you—from forums to programs to tutorial writers. You can divide the money between as many or as few benefactors as you'd like.

We've posted the list here, and we realize it's far from comprehensive. So be sure to let us know about other helpful resources we might have missed.

If you already have an item in the Team Fortress 2 Workshop, you can add and set Service Allowances by visiting the page for your item in the Workshop. So get out there and pay it forward like Kevin Spacey did in that movie, Superman Returns, when he gave Superman all that kryptonite, and then Superman paid it forward into space.</i>

Source: TF2.com

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Yay, we got listed. But, who's drp?

3. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    DrPepper

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
  5. Okrag

aa Okrag Wall Staples

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know what you guys are so surprised about, TF2Maps.net has always been a subsidiary of the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  6. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    cool as heck

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. theharribokid

aa theharribokid

Positive Ratings:
    Wer'e called drp because that's drp's name on his steam account. It's dynamic to what he sets it as. I'm pretty sure he's meant to be in the for our sister site tf2mods.net that drp also owns and runs being that it hosts the large majority of the communtiy item updates and loads of other skins the tf2 item making community has put out there.

8. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    flame of war 2013

proudly sponsored by Dr Pepper

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  9. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    I for one am ready to be part of the drp.net community.

Once drp expands to include other games, tf2maps.net will be but one piece of the drp.net network.

(Except for CS:GO. We don't talk about CS:GO).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. PMAvers

PMAvers L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The drp community: you can be a pepper too.

11. deadsource

deadsource L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Y no CS:GO?

12. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Now we just need the map workshop and my elaborate plan for world domination will fall into place as my wall of thanks turns into a wall of money because I've made everyone dependent on my pack.

/walks off cackling manically.

But seriously, this is really neat of them to do.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. TheBestUsername

TheBestUsername L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
  14. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    lol. yea i teased Robin about it. He initially suggested I create an entire account, i refused. i didnt know it was because of this. It should be fixed soon, if it hasnt already.

15. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I sort of picture the conversation like this:

Robin: hey
    Robin: hey hey
    Robin: hey
    Robin: hey, you there
    Robin: hey hey hey hey
    drp: WHAT
    Robin: lol, you should make an alt acct
    drp: you're such a bad troll
    Robin: also can i have your steel shako
    drp: how did you even get on my friends list

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  16. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    this is almost exactly how it went down. "crikey" was mentioned a few times by Robin.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    (it's dr. pepper)

going to be honest drp, this is like the only way to contact you/get a response from you :p

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    You sure are playing the long game here!

19. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, because it is assuming that people are going to pay for maps.

20. Leminnes

aa Leminnes

Positive Ratings:
    Would be much neater if they did have a map workshop. I'm not sure if we'll ever see that though. :(