Help pushing players

Zarokima

L69: Deviant Member
Aug 7, 2010
I've been working on this one section for the past three days, and I'm highly annoyed at Hammer by this point. :cursing:

I'm trying to make a shortcut through the ventilation system on either side of my 5-CP map. I want there to be "airflow" that forces traffic in only one direction at first, but once a team captures the fourth point the "airflow" turns off, allowing traffic in both directions and thus providing an alternate route to the last point. Since this route is between the last point and the midpoint (I'm doing an S-shaped map rather than linear), the "airflow" should turn back on if the pushed-back team recaptures their second point, like it was in the beginning.

I started by filling the vent with trigger_push brushes, but had an issue where it only seemed to push me when I was touching the center of the brush. So I nixed that idea and made the bottom of the vent func_conveyor, and that works better. Due to the nature of func_conveyer, it's not perfect and you can get through the other direction as a Scout by double-jumping, but it's good enough.

Since func-conveyor's only toggle function is for direction (which reverses it -- not what I want), I'm stopping it by setting speed to 0, and restarting by setting speed back to the original 400. It turns off just fine, but doesn't turn back on. The humming sounds I have set around there toggle just fine, but the conveyor stays off. I've tried running it through a logic_relay (to better organize the functions of the vent areas), as well as directly from the capture point's trigger area using the onCapTeam1/2 outputs. No matter what I try, setSpeed 0 works fine to stop it, setSpeed 400 does not restart it.

Help for either the trigger_push or func_conveyor implementation would be appreciated, I don't care which.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
trigger_push should work, I don't know what you did wrong. Can you tell us the properties of what it was before you changed it to func_conveyor?

Zarokima

L69: Deviant Member
Aug 7, 2010
I didn't remember, so I had to re-do it as trigger_push (same problem), and while doing so had the brilliant idea that since the small sections don't seem to have as big an issue (the long rectangles were the most problematic), so I re-did it using a series of smaller squares. While jerky, this does do exactly what I was looking for (though I was hoping it'd be smoother).

I feel like a frickin' genius for only just thinking of that. :facepalm:

Anyway, if anyone still wants to help (since I'd like it to be smoother -- but that's not a big issue), the properties are:
name: blue_vent_push
parentL
origin: -1696 -1120 -128
start disabled: no
global entity name:
filter name:
push direction: 0 90 0 / 0 0 90 (there's some for either)
speed: 400
scale force for alternate ticks: 0

Flags: clients