[HELP NEEDED] Sketchup VMF exporter not working at all?

alvaol62

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2011
So I downloaded Google Sketchup 8, and got the VMF exporter plugin as well.
I create a simple block in Sketchup, make it a group, and export it as VMF.

However, there is no output file. I don't get any errors either. I have reinstalled the program and the plugin several times, but still nothing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

alvaol62

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2011
honestly man, why not just use source sdk? it's just as easy to pick up. no one maps with google sketchup here

I have been told that creating the basic mesh of your map in Sketchup helps a lot and is much faster.

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
I would not say that sketchup is faster. if you're very efficient in google ketchup you probably can make it happen but it will be harder to get the scale of your map right and everything. so I don't know, hammer is known to be one of the fastest tool when it comes to building the general layout of a map and it's also obvious to me that by starting with hammer from the ground up, you will get the hang of it faster. there's really no use in mapping with sketchup in my opinion but that's your choice to make.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
Clearly sketchup=>hammer isn't faster since you're having trouble with the export :p

As fubar said, just learn SDK. It's very simple (until you start getting into wonky entity logic) and quite enjoyable to work with, actually. Until something goes horribly wrong.