Help ! (Need Custom Fire Glowing Texture/Material) or any other way of faking fire

Discussion in 'Request Area' started by TheONE, Sep 4, 2013.

1. TheONE

TheONE L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hey guys,

I have low experience in making custom textures/materials !, and what I am asking is a bit challenging! so I need your HELP ! :confused:

The basic idea is to avoid adding either "particles" or "sprites" or anything that consume engine ents (cuz i have already lots in my map)

and I need to make fire lights for an area in my map ... I was wondering if there is a way to make fire without consuming engine ents!

one way of doing that which is the closest thing to fire is a glowing texture/material that looks like fire (not lava !).

another -worst case scenario- way is having small orange glowing cubes.... but the problem i need someone to help me make orange glowing texture/material !

your help on this issue is much appreciated ! :)

2. Fantasma

aa Fantasma

Positive Ratings:
    What's the problem with having too many engine ents? Just curious.

3. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Entity_limit

4. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You could simulate the flashing with a material proxy:

Code:
    Proxies
    	{
    		GaussianNoise
    		{
    			mean 0.85
    			halfWidth 0.175
    			minVal 0.6
    			maxVal 1
    			resultVar $alpha
    		}

But you'd need a fire texture. I tried messing around with the fire particle texture, but it looks kinda eh. Asylum might help with animated textures, because I know little to nothing about that.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. TheONE

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks Seba I appreciate that!

Guys I don't have experience in editing textures/materials if someone can continue on Seba work to make a VMT and VTF that I can use. I would really appreciate it

6. TheONE

Positive Ratings:
    Still No Help here 0.o

7. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    so, "fire lights," i assume you mean something on the same size and scale like the torches in DeGroot Keep

I could throw something together that kinda' sorta' looks like a flame without it looking too bad- making a fire look like a real fire when it's up close and the focus of the scene requires a renderer far better than I.

8. TheONE

Positive Ratings:
    I need something with the scale and size of "m_brazier_flame" fire particle system.

Thanks for helping on this, I really appreciate that :)

9. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Why not just simplify your map? If you're hitting the entity limits you'll probably see other problems.

10. TheONE

Positive Ratings:
    well it is not a regular map ... it is a game mod map ... similar to jailbreak so i need lots of ents.

i am now at 1400 ents ... the max limit is 1600, but i want to keep my ent count below 1400 ents

and once i get that texture/material it will be useful in any future map.