Help, my vmf won't load

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I had some problems with making overlay roads in my map (Connecting the corners and whatnot). The overlays kept disappearing and flickering all over the place so I quit Hammer to restart it.

Next time I tried to load the map (Literally minutes later) from a fresh restart of Hammer, I oddly got a question if I wanted to load the autosave. I had saved properly last time, so I don't know why I was posed this question. Regardless, whether I load the autosave or my manually saved vmf, it'll appear to load normally (progress bar and all) but after that Hammer will freeze up with the 3D window being black and the others white. I can't click anything.

I can load any map except artpass_muffin_man.

What's causing this?! D:

Micnax

Back from the dead (again)
aa
Apr 25, 2009
The map dosn't want you to hurt it! /joke

Do you think you may have created an invalid brush in the map that's causing Hammer to crash? Usually you can fix them in Hammer itself but it might be overloading itself while trying to find it.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Could be it, but before I closed Hammer that time I don't think I made any brushes except for a staircase. I could try deleting those brushes from the vmf. The most recent brushes are the last ones listed as solids in the vmf, right?

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
I actually have the exact same error. I can see the 3d view correctly but the load stops at 100% and then Hammer goes into "not responding" mode. I tried loading the .vmx from last compile, copying the entire map via notepad into a new file and opening last autosave. Nothing helped, I just had to redo a full days work or so (and since have created 20 different save files).

I created some really big displacements the last thing I did before the final save so I blamed that, but I had added tire tracks just before that.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
You added tire tracks too? That sounds like a spooky coincidence.

Boojum has offered to look at my VMF. If he can't find out anything, I'll send an e-mail to whoever the Hammer programmer is, maybe it's something they know about.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It was overlays with enormous exponent values.

vmf.png

How it happened, I don't know, but deleting the entire entity block (and the hidden block if it exists) fixes the problem easy enough. There were only three in Muffin's right near the bottom easy to find, but if you are having this problem too Huckle, just search the document for e+ (or e-) to find any stray exponent values.

Last edited:

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
It actually was. I found a lot of e-07 and e-09 numbers. Unfortunately I've already started over but this will be handy the next time I run into it.

Apparently, watch out when creating tire tracks.